Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AMARSHALL80
Frequent Visitor

Filtering across column headers?

Hi there,

I have a dataset which provides client status across a different field - sample data below where i've used region and my companies on the database.  I want to be able to filter on a region to see clients to then see how those clients operate.  That seems easy enough.  But i want users to be able to select a region from a filter.

Unpivoting doesnt seem to help becasue i'm then not seeing the associated data.

I was thinking i would duplicate the table but i wasnt quite sure

Example Data

2021-05-17 09_52_02-New Message - Microsoft Power BI Community.png

Intention 

User filters on region to see how clients with that status are performing across different regions - so we can analyse regions, clients etc.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SushainKoul
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @AMARSHALL80

It is actually possible to do this, but I don't really consider it a "clean" way.

1. edit the query
  2. duplicate the table you want to filter based on columns
  3. select all the columns you want to be able to filter (using shift and or control)
  4. right-click and select unpivot data
  5. now you can filter based on the new "attributes" column

Notice how this is not a good suggestion for large data as you have to copy the entire table.

It works though...

To actually implement the filter I would recommend using the chiclet slicer from the custom visuals store 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AMARSHALL80
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-yiruan-msft and @SushainKoul -  really appreciate you coming back.

The unpivot is helpful and the duplicating of table seems to be getting me closer, but i dont it quite does what i am hoping to do  (and i used regions just as sample data) - i would like to be able to filter on a Region and Status (e.g. USA Clients) to then show how those Clients (or other status selected) perform across other regions.   

Hi @AMARSHALL80 

Welcome. Didn't you still get the solution u were looking for??

Hi @SushainKoul  - having looked at it again i think it has - thank you.  

Hi @AMARSHALL80 .Your Welcome. If u still don't get it or u r facing any problems in this or near future u can ask me.

v-yiruan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @AMARSHALL80 ,

I created a sample pbix file(see attachment) for you using UNPIVOT function, please check whether that is what you want. If no, please provide your expected result with backend logic and specifc examples. Thank you.

yingyinr_0-1621415107712.png

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
SushainKoul
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @AMARSHALL80

It is actually possible to do this, but I don't really consider it a "clean" way.

1. edit the query
  2. duplicate the table you want to filter based on columns
  3. select all the columns you want to be able to filter (using shift and or control)
  4. right-click and select unpivot data
  5. now you can filter based on the new "attributes" column

Notice how this is not a good suggestion for large data as you have to copy the entire table.

It works though...

To actually implement the filter I would recommend using the chiclet slicer from the custom visuals store 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.