Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shera276
Advocate I
Advocate I

Filtering a table by selecting a row in another table

Hi - I'm new to PowerBI and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  I'm trying to filter (or highlight) a table based by selecting a row from a different table.  In my example below, when I select Company A in the Customer table I want all Company A records filtered/highlighted in the Forms table and vice versa.  The tables are joined by Customer ID in the model (there can be multiple Form records to only 1 Customer record).

PBI Forum Question - Filtering btwn tables.png

I'm not sure what I need to configure to do that but right now selecting Company doesn't do anything.  I know recent May, June, July releases say they allow this but I still can't figure it out.  Any one have ideas on what I"m doing wrong?

As an alternative, I tried adding a regular slicer on customer id thinking that would at least filter both tables.  Unfortunately, it didn't.  I must add the customer id slicer from both tables for both tables to be filtered.  I viewed the interactions and all seems well too. Thoughts?

Will someone help me solve both questions?

Thank You,

SS

4 REPLIES 4
BraneyBI
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Important question:  Do you have a relationship between your two tables on the CustomerID field?  You can tell by selecting the 'Manage Relationship' icon on the Home ribbon.  Your customerIDs need to be unique on the customer table. 

With the new Table and Matrix visuals, cross highlighting is now enabled by default.

ziad
Frequent Visitor

BraneyBI, I have the same situation except that I don't need to make a relationship between the two fields as I have both fields in the same unique table. But I want to disable the cross highliting in the Matrix visual that I am using, Please do you know a way to disable that and enable "normal filtering" so that the second table could be filtered according to the row selected in the first table.

Thanks for your help

Ziad 

@shera276 as @BraneyBI, did you setup the relation between two tables?

@ziad Can you share sample what you are trying to achieve?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing the similar type of the problem. Where I have two table view and after selection on one table the row the second table should get highlighted. 

Thanks in advance for helpTableMapping

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.