Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NiallMaths
Regular Visitor

Filtering a slicer to choose different columns

Hi 

I am trying to create a page where the user can compare land use in different local authorities or they can compare land use in different regions.

The data is currently in format where each row is:

Local Authority, Region, Country, Land Use type, Area

I want to have a slicer where the user can decide whether they want to compare regions to one another, or local authorities.

Then a second slicer, which if the user has chosen region, will show the regions from which they can choose a few

Then a bar chart below will compare the chosen values from the second slicer.

Would anyone be able to help with this?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I don't think you can dynamically change one slicer based on another slicer
slicers.PNG

In this examples the slicers come from the columns in the table

so the user can chose from either slicer, without having to first chose between region and local authority

you can create a measure that looks to see which slicer has a value selected and then develops a different total depending on the selection...the result of that measure would be dynamic and you could use the measure as the value in a bar chart.
you would have to decide how you wanted to handle the situation if the user made a selection in both slicers... you can use a card that displays the contents returned by a measure. the card's measure would have similar logic to the measure supplying the value for your bar chart, normally it would display the value selected, if 2 values were selected it would display a message saying "please select just one value"

let me know if you need help with the DAX for those measures.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

View solution in original post

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @NiallMaths 

To my knowledge, it could not achieve in power bi for now.

As a workaround, I would suggest you use bookmark to set different bookmark for "first slicer".

https://radacad.com/bookmarks-and-buttons-making-power-bi-charts-even-more-interactive

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @NiallMaths 

To my knowledge, it could not achieve in power bi for now.

As a workaround, I would suggest you use bookmark to set different bookmark for "first slicer".

https://radacad.com/bookmarks-and-buttons-making-power-bi-charts-even-more-interactive

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

I don't think you can dynamically change one slicer based on another slicer
slicers.PNG

In this examples the slicers come from the columns in the table

so the user can chose from either slicer, without having to first chose between region and local authority

you can create a measure that looks to see which slicer has a value selected and then develops a different total depending on the selection...the result of that measure would be dynamic and you could use the measure as the value in a bar chart.
you would have to decide how you wanted to handle the situation if the user made a selection in both slicers... you can use a card that displays the contents returned by a measure. the card's measure would have similar logic to the measure supplying the value for your bar chart, normally it would display the value selected, if 2 values were selected it would display a message saying "please select just one value"

let me know if you need help with the DAX for those measures.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!