Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

craigsmajors
Regular Visitor

Filtering a linked table by what is selected in the report

Hello,

I am fairly new to using Power BI.

I am currently working on some employee production reports in Power BI.

I have a table that contains the Employee, Activity, Production, etc.

I have another table that has a list of all of the different activities and the target number for those activities.

I have their relationship linked on activity.

In my report. I want to have a bullet chart that is filtered by department and using the target number in the table that I talked about above.

The problem is that the target number seems to be summing (or averaging, min, max, etc) all of the target numbers in the table so the target number stays the same irregardless of the activity that is selected.

What would be the best way to get these target numbers to filter correctly?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I figured out my problem. It had to do with how I was filtering the data. I needed to use the "Activity" from the target data instead of the one from the actual data to filter the data on. Once I made that change it worked.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Any way that you can post sample data or, better yet, the PBIX you are using?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I created a mock up PBIX with the same problem but could not figure out how to upload it.

Here is what the data looks like. It is loaded as a csv into Power BI then I create a measure Dividing measureQty by Hours to get the rate that will be shown in the bullet chart.

The Department Average Employee is calculated when the csv is created. There are also actual employee numbers but I did not include them as examples.

Let me know if you need anything else. I am not sure what is enough to provide and I shouldn't include everything since it is semi sensitive information.

workDateEmployee NamedeptNameDeptCodeActivityWorked WG3 CodemeasureQtyhoursEmployeeType
11/1/2017 0:00 * Department Avg * Equipment14East - Replenishment Pick - 601695969.25* Department Avg *
11/1/2017 0:00 * Department Avg * Equipment14East - Returns Putaway CTN - 17171813.25* Department Avg *
11/1/2017 0:00 * Department Avg * Inventory15East - Cycle Count - 101113011.25* Department Avg *
11/1/2017 0:00 * Department Avg * Inventory15East - Cycle Count Bulk - 186163410.75* Department Avg *

This is what the Target data table looks like it is also loaded as a csv. It is linked by activity.

ActivityTarget
East - Cycle Count - 65
East - Cycle Count Bulk - 55
East - Replenishment Pick - 6060
East - Returns Putaway CTN - 1735

2017-11-09_1420.pngThank you.

I figured out my problem. It had to do with how I was filtering the data. I needed to use the "Activity" from the target data instead of the one from the actual data to filter the data on. Once I made that change it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.