cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
duncanwil Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Filtering a large list

I have a list of millions of rows/transactions and each transaction relates to a postcode. There are up to 500,000 distinct postcodes use in any year.

I have created visualisations and tables with this data set and filtered out all postcodes bar the one(s) I might be interested in. It worked and because of the large number of postcodes, it seems to work better than using a slicer. I have created helper columns for the initial letter of a postcode and another one for the first two characters of a postcode and they help with slicing but filtering is more direct in that case.

My question relates to the New Quick Measure and creating a filtered value. In order to filter using my postcode of interest, I would need to scroll down the list but that is tedious and I can see it would take a long time if, for example, my postcode of interest starts with the letter H or I or J, in the middle of the alphabet.

So, is there a quick and direct way of filtering the database in a New Quick Measure as there is in what I might call an ordinary filtering situation?

1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Filtering a large list

If you have a lookup table for your post codes, could you add a column to that to tag the ones you are interested in?  Somthing like 'Focus Area' yes / no then you could just filter your report to 'Focus Area; = yes rather than picking each post code?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Ask Amanda Anything Q&A

Learn the answers to some of the questions asked during the Amanda Triple A event.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Users Online
Currently online: 290 members 2,783 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: