Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nahla

Filtering a child table from a parent table

The short question I have is: How do I get a parent table to filter a child table, given that the records in a 'Table' visual are not selectable?

Here's what I have tried:

1- The initial attempt was to have a report with a Parent table, and have a column in it link to another report with multiple children tables. Turns out you can't do that.

2- My alternative solution was to combine the reports into one, and have the Parent table at the top, then selecting a record, to see the Child tables filtered, thus displaying the children of the selected parent record. Turns out creating this direct link was asked in this URL, and the answer was it can't be done https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Link-two-data-grids/m-p/24899/highlight/true#M8116

3- The other option I looked into was using a Slicer, but couldn't find a way to have a more-than-one-column slicer (to simulate that Parent table at the top.

Any other ideas to achieve this?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

What do you mean by Parent and Child tables here.

Parent -- fact??

Child -- Dimension??

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thank you for your reply. I meant something like Order - Order Details.

@nahla

In your scenario, if you have built the relationship between Order table and Order Detail table. The Order Detail table supposed to be cascaded filtered when you filter on Order table. You just need to use Slicer to filter data based on your selection.

but couldn't find a way to have a more-than-one-column slicer

It's correct. We can't have multiple fields in a singer slicer. But you can apply multiple slicers, or you can use custom visuals like Hierarchy Slicer and Attribute Slicer.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.