Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tlenzmeier
Helper II
Helper II

Filtering Dates Across Multiple Tables

Hello,

I have an issue where the user has to select three dates from three different date slicers. One table is a customer invoice table, the next table is a customer payments table with a foreign key linked back to the invoice table. The third table is an orphan table (no joins to any table) that is used to determine the days past due of an invoice. If I join my date dimension to the invoice table, all is well and good. However, if I attempt to join the date table to the payment date from the payments table, the join isn't active due to the existing relationship to the invoice table. Rather than have users select three dates that are all the same, it would be ideal if they selected one date and achieved the following: 1. all open invoices as of a point in time, 2. all payments received as of that point in time, and 3. the days past due on any remaining balance as of that point in time. I've tried using a RELATED function, but that does not seem to work. I've also tried creating a bridge table, but that hasn't worked either. I may be doing it all wrong, but it would be convenient to the user if I could simplify things.

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tlenzmeier,

I don't think you can direct use a unrelated table to filter on other tables.
Please at least create one relationship to these tables to apply the filter effect or try to use measure to filter on visual level filter.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Check out the USERELATIONSHIP function and see if it gets you there:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh230952.aspx

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Here's my model. If I could trouble you for some recommendation(s) on what to use as inactive joins. The "PD Calendar" is used to calculate the days past due. The join from invoice to payment is on the primary key. The only active join insofar as dates, is from date to GL Date on the invoice table.

Current model . . .Current model . . .

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.