Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yakov
Helper I
Helper I

Filtering Data - for report

I am new to Power BI so patience please.

I would like to create a report from a SQL Server Table.

The table has data from recent years but i would like to display only last years info (utilizing a date column).

would i filter the dataset on creation or would the filtering be done on the report itself?.

From the tests i have done it seems like filters on reports are  only used to filter visualizations not to filter the original data.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Yakov,

Filtering the query (when creating dataset) means you only import the data you want to show to others. If you filter data in page/report level, you need to import all the data, you just filter the data and show expected data in visual report. But others also can see all the dataset.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

Hi @Yakov,

>>1. "But others also can see all the dataset." all the data set or just the complete data of the coulnms i choose?

Others will see all the data you import into Power BI model instead of filtering in page/report level.

>>2.  where does Row Level Security come in ?

You can use RLS to restrict people's permisson to view the data. You can review more detail in this article: 

Row Level Security In Power BI.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could do either. If you aren't going to ever use any of the old data, then filter the data in the query. If you might use that old data for something in your report, then import all of it and just use a report or page level filter to filter to the specific year that you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I guess the same rules apply if i want to filter out confidenital data, this would be done on the query because at report level the recipients of the shared report would still have access to the full data .

correct?

You would want to use Row Level Security in this case as this will only provide the end user access to the data that you specify via RLS.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

If i understand you correctly.

You're saying that filtering the query (when creating dataset) is not secure enough for confidentiality purposes?

Hi @Yakov,

Filtering the query (when creating dataset) means you only import the data you want to show to others. If you filter data in page/report level, you need to import all the data, you just filter the data and show expected data in visual report. But others also can see all the dataset.

Best Regards,
Angelia

1. "But others also can see all the dataset." all the data set or just the complete data of the coulnms i choose?

2.  where does Row Level Security come in ?

Hi @Yakov,

>>1. "But others also can see all the dataset." all the data set or just the complete data of the coulnms i choose?

Others will see all the data you import into Power BI model instead of filtering in page/report level.

>>2.  where does Row Level Security come in ?

You can use RLS to restrict people's permisson to view the data. You can review more detail in this article: 

Row Level Security In Power BI.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@Yakov

When Sharring report you have 2 variants for recipients: user can modify report or do not have permission to change it. So In 2 case if you filter data in report by page/report level filter recipients can't change this filter when using report.

But If the data are confidential I'll suggest you to filter it in query to prevent data breach in future.

Thanks

These  2 variants for recipients , are there settings set at user level or at report level?

and where are there settings?

bsas
Post Patron
Post Patron

Hi @Yakov,

You can use both variants depends on your needs.

If you want your report to work faster you can wirte some SQL code in query before uploading data. Or you can use perort level filter on your report to filter only needed data. Filtering in report does not change your original data.

intersting what u say about making it faster with filtering in query.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.