Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtering Countrows

I need to calculate how much of an order is in each category.  I need a column calculation that divides the entire order by however many rows are involved.  How would the Dax be formed for this? I only see countrows working for the whole table, and not for a column individually.  Is there a way to filter this? 

Order #CategoryDesired Output
1a0.25
1a0.25
1b0.25
1b0.25
2a0.5
2a0.5
3a0.25
3a0.25
3a0.25
3b0.25
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Does this do what you want?

Desired Output =
1 / CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Order #] ) )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Does this do what you want?

Desired Output =
1 / CALCULATE ( COUNTROWS ( Table1 ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table1, Table1[Order #] ) )
Anonymous
Not applicable

YES.  That was way easier than how I solved it.  I completely forgot about ALLEXCEPT.  I'll remember this for future projects.  I often have to group by category. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used Power Query to resolve this issue.  I duplicated my table and grouped by order number to get a count of everything under that order number to get a count of lines.  I then did 1/that column's value and got what I was looking for.

mohammedadnant
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @Anonymous 

Good day,

If you need count of orders by category, Just add category and orders in table visual,

beside the orders column in the table visual under visualiztion pane --> click on the "v" icon --> click on count.

you will the count of orders by category

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Adnan

https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan
Learn Power BI: https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is still wrong as I am comparing categories with this data and it will count an order over multiple categories.  In the case of order 1, it will add a full count to A and B, where I only want .5 added for both.

then you can use category, and instead of order column, add desired output column --> click "v" to select sum, by doing this you will get 

category | count

a             | .5

b             | .5

Regards

Mohammed Adnan

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan
Learn Power BI: https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I'm not understanding, but how would summing a category that is text = .5?

Added: Also, to clarify, that .25 doesn't exist....that is what I'm trying to get to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.