Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtering Between 2 Tables

Greetings datanauts! 

Please see screenshot below. 

Goal: I am trying to filter the All Customers table to remove any Customer ID's that are in the Contracts Sold table. 

Problem: I am not sure if I have this set up right relationship wise (All Customers table 1 -> * Contracts Sold). ALSO, how would you approach this? I was thinking that creating a measure would filter the tables as I hoped but that didnt work. My other attempt was to put the Contracts Sold[Customer ID] column in the visual level filters to advanced filter "IS NOT" but that didnt work also. 

I am sure this is probably a easy solution for you PowerBI ninjas but I am a noob. Any help from this great community is greatly appreciated! 

FilteringBetween2Tables.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ssugar
Resolver III
Resolver III

Using the sample data you provided, I was able to create a PATH of the company ids with contracts sold, and then create a calculated table that filters the all customers table to remove anything in the PATH of the company ids with contracts sold.

DAX measure to create the path:

Customer Id With Contract Sold = CONCATENATEX('Contracts Sold', 'Contracts Sold'[Customer Id], "|")

DAX calculated table to create a table that only shows customers with no contract sold:

Customers with No Contract Sold = FILTER('All Customers', PATHCONTAINS([Customer Id With Contract Sold], 'All Customers'[Customer Id]) = FALSE())

community-sol-265075.png

PBIX file with this working: https://github.com/ssugar/PowerBICommunity/raw/master/community-sol-265075.pbix

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ssugar
Resolver III
Resolver III

Using the sample data you provided, I was able to create a PATH of the company ids with contracts sold, and then create a calculated table that filters the all customers table to remove anything in the PATH of the company ids with contracts sold.

DAX measure to create the path:

Customer Id With Contract Sold = CONCATENATEX('Contracts Sold', 'Contracts Sold'[Customer Id], "|")

DAX calculated table to create a table that only shows customers with no contract sold:

Customers with No Contract Sold = FILTER('All Customers', PATHCONTAINS([Customer Id With Contract Sold], 'All Customers'[Customer Id]) = FALSE())

community-sol-265075.png

PBIX file with this working: https://github.com/ssugar/PowerBICommunity/raw/master/community-sol-265075.pbix

Anonymous
Not applicable

Stunning! I would have never thought of this on my own! Thank you! 

@Anonymous- no problem, happy to help 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you be able to provide additional advice please? Lets say we want to filter by multiple tables and fields...how would you go about that? 

EX: We would need to filter for:

- any customer id not in contracts sold table

- which used payment method cash

- and bought cars

I have tried your initial suggestion and it worked fantastic! Only problem is that I tried to expand the search criteria to include multiple tables and fields but that made a complete mess. 

If you are able to help guide me to a solution, it will be so appreicated! 

Gratitude! 

FilteringBetween2Tables2.png

Sure 🙂

New Measure:

Customer Id With Payment Cash = CONCATENATEX(FILTER('Payment Method', 'Payment Method'[Payment] = "Cash"), 'Payment Method'[Customer Id], "|")

New Measure:

Customer Id With Product Cars = CONCATENATEX(FILTER('Product Type', 'Product Type'[Product] = "Cars"), 'Product Type'[Customer Id], "|")

New Calculated Table:

Customers with No Contract Sold With Paid Cash And Bought Cars = FILTER('All Customers', PATHCONTAINS([Customer Id With Contract Sold], 'All Customers'[Customer Id]) = FALSE() && PATHCONTAINS([Customer Id With Payment Cash], 'All Customers'[Customer Id]) = FALSE() && PATHCONTAINS([Customer Id With Product Cars], 'All Customers'[Customer Id]) = FALSE())

Updated pbix file - https://github.com/ssugar/PowerBICommunity/raw/master/community-sol-265075.pbix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.