Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filtered slicer doesn't show all values

I have a date slicer (MonthYear) that filters another slicer (Location). These slicers filter other tables and charts that have a Quantity value.

My data is setup in a Kimball Methodology star schema.

dimDate (DateKey, MonthYear)

dimLocation (LocationKey, LocationName)

factQuantity   (LocationKey,DateKey)

They join together on the keys in 1:* relationships. The data is pretty similar across each month in terms of the locations that have quantities. However, for some reason when February 2019 is selected from the date slicer, not all the Location values show up in the Location slicer. The data interactions allow for filtering across slicers. 

I know the data is there because I setup a table and it shows up. The slicers are the only things not showing correctly. There aren't any filters on them that aren't on the entire page or that are related to these fields. Anyone know how to fix this? 

Here is a sample: Location slicer on the left, Shipped data table on the left with Locations that have qty's. There is a slicer not shown shich has February 2019 selected for the Month Year.

proof.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @Anonymous ,

basically it works as designed, selections from date slicer are filtering the fact table, this is due to the concept called "filter propagation". The fact table is filtered by the date slicer, but this is not reflected in the SiteName slicer.

Setting the property "Cross filter direction" of the relationship between dimSite and factQuantity once again to "both" will filter the content of the SiteName slicer.

I'm not sure if I really understand your initial question. Maybe you can rephrase it.

Are you missing SiteName in the slicer that have values in the fact table if February is filtered?

Maybe you can prepare some sample data upload an pbix file or an Excel file (that contains sample data that allows to recreate the problem), upload the file to OneDrive or Dropbox and share the link.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

Where is the SiteName slicer comming from? Are you getting this value from the factquantity table or from one of the other tables?

When having slicers based on your fact table they will be influenced by the values that you place on other slicer in this case you will only get the data that is for February.

Can you share how you have the full model setup and the slicers?

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MFelix 

Site Name slicer comes from dimSite > SiteName field. I removed a bi-directional cross-filter on dimSite and now any changes I make to Date filter are not reflected on the Site filter at all. It continues to give the full list. they do both filter the fact table data though. I have interactions setup for them to filter each other..

test1.PNG

Hey @Anonymous ,

basically it works as designed, selections from date slicer are filtering the fact table, this is due to the concept called "filter propagation". The fact table is filtered by the date slicer, but this is not reflected in the SiteName slicer.

Setting the property "Cross filter direction" of the relationship between dimSite and factQuantity once again to "both" will filter the content of the SiteName slicer.

I'm not sure if I really understand your initial question. Maybe you can rephrase it.

Are you missing SiteName in the slicer that have values in the fact table if February is filtered?

Maybe you can prepare some sample data upload an pbix file or an Excel file (that contains sample data that allows to recreate the problem), upload the file to OneDrive or Dropbox and share the link.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

maybe you have set the cross filter direction to "both" between the table that contains the column "SiteName" and the fact table, if so the slicer will show just the SiteNames that correlation to the selected month "February 2019".

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.