Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter visual without filtering data

Hi,

Im current graphing temperatures by region, and I want to show a month of daily averages and have a constant line of the 3 year average for that month. I have calculated my 3 year averages, but when I try to plot current with the 3 year average, and set an average line based on the 3 year average I get the following visual;

g1.JPG

I tried using the visual filter and setting it to the last month but when I do it stops calculating the average line and the black line just sits in the visual, not changing when I change month or region;
g2.JPG

Any ideas on how to tackle this?

4 REPLIES 4
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous

It seems you may have a look at this blog. Sample data and expected output will be helpful to provide an accurate solution.

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-cherch-msft,

Thanks for the reply, I'll add a more detailed description and sample data/report.

The data I have is temperature data for New Zealand for serval weather station across the country updated every hour for the past several years.

q1.JPGq4.JPGq2.JPG

I have another table of GXP's, grid exit points (nodes where electricity leaves the distribution grid and is then sent to residences and businesses), and each GXP is assigned a weather station.

q2.JPG

Another table I have assigns each GXP to one of 14 grid zones accross the country.

q3.JPG

Using this I have created a measure using a disconnect date table to calculate the 3 year average for a selected month by take the average for the same month from the previous 3 years. 

3YA.JPG

So what I have so far this 3 year average for each month, and I want to use it as a constantline for each month, so I will have graphed each days actual temp with this constant line temp so as to compare variance.
Crappy paint mock up.
want.png

So I eventally want to be able to select a region and a month.

I was think of adding an extra column to my temperature data that checks the month and weather station and then calculates an average for that month, but with 40ish stations and  and each month being different, Im not sure how I go about this.

Heres a copy of the report currently:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10Q-dJUaazkWb6gfrhb-hUuZkLEUMA0Wx

Hi @Anonymous

I cannot fully understand it. It seems you may use drill down and date hierarchy for visual. Please check the visual on page 3. If it is not your case, please simplified the sample data and provide the expected output if you need a measure.

1.png

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again @v-cherch-msft

When I use the drill down, I want to drill down on the current year data, and when I do that, I can't get the I can use the past 3 years to create an average line as the data gets filtered.

Capture2.JPG

In the above photo, once I drilled into the current month, the dashed average line stops working.

It's quite late for me now, I'll try and make a more detailed example of what I'm hoping to achieve in the morning.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.