cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dacorson Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Filter visual by measure value

I have a matrix with an item in the row and the sales months in the columns. I want to be able to filter the matrix where one of the measures exceeds a certain value. I am indicating the value based on a what-if parameter. How do I filter the visual based on the value of the measure? I have see numerous posts about this, but nothing satisifies my requirement. It seems like this would be a valuable feature to have in powerbi. I know you can put measures in the visual filters, but then the user cannot change this value within the UI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Filter visual by measure value

You can’t slice and dice based on measures. This is by design and I doubt it will change. You need to write your measures so they show, or not, based on the result. Conceptually I guess you could create a whatif parameter containing the values you want someone to filter,  place the parameter measure in your other measure with an if statement. Something like this. 

Whatif from 10% to 100% step in 10%

= var mymeasure = something

var myFilter = [whatif measure]

return if(mymeasure <=myFilter,mymeasure)

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
1 REPLY 1
Super User
Super User

Re: Filter visual by measure value

You can’t slice and dice based on measures. This is by design and I doubt it will change. You need to write your measures so they show, or not, based on the result. Conceptually I guess you could create a whatif parameter containing the values you want someone to filter,  place the parameter measure in your other measure with an if statement. Something like this. 

Whatif from 10% to 100% step in 10%

= var mymeasure = something

var myFilter = [whatif measure]

return if(mymeasure <=myFilter,mymeasure)

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.