Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter visual by measure value

I have a matrix with an item in the row and the sales months in the columns. I want to be able to filter the matrix where one of the measures exceeds a certain value. I am indicating the value based on a what-if parameter. How do I filter the visual based on the value of the measure? I have see numerous posts about this, but nothing satisifies my requirement. It seems like this would be a valuable feature to have in powerbi. I know you can put measures in the visual filters, but then the user cannot change this value within the UI.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can’t slice and dice based on measures. This is by design and I doubt it will change. You need to write your measures so they show, or not, based on the result. Conceptually I guess you could create a whatif parameter containing the values you want someone to filter,  place the parameter measure in your other measure with an if statement. Something like this. 

Whatif from 10% to 100% step in 10%

= var mymeasure = something

var myFilter = [whatif measure]

return if(mymeasure <=myFilter,mymeasure)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

You can’t slice and dice based on measures. This is by design and I doubt it will change. You need to write your measures so they show, or not, based on the result. Conceptually I guess you could create a whatif parameter containing the values you want someone to filter,  place the parameter measure in your other measure with an if statement. Something like this. 

Whatif from 10% to 100% step in 10%

= var mymeasure = something

var myFilter = [whatif measure]

return if(mymeasure <=myFilter,mymeasure)

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.