Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cemapple
Frequent Visitor

Filter using a range based on aggregate values

I'm new to DAX and Power BI.  I'm trying to create a grouping or range based on the sum of distinct count of values.  In Excel I would create something like "If (Count(Member ID) < 100, "1 - 99", "100 +").  How can you replicate the same affect and use the grouping/range of values as a legend in a visual? When I attempt the same formula in Power BI, all values result in "1 - 99".   I was attempting to create a map and use the grouping/range to color code the states by the count of member ID.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello-

This should work very similar in DAX but with distinctcount.

Fomula = if(calculate(distinctcount('Member ID Table' [Member  ID]) <100, "Less than 100","Other)) or as you would like for however many groups you want.

Jared

Jared,

Thanks for responding, but apparently I'm doing something incorrect.  My dataset has 2 columns, MemberID & State (the member ID's are dummy format A1001, A1002, etc).   Both are text data types. 

My calculated column:  IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(State_Members[MemberID])<100),"Less Than 100", IF(CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(State_Members[MemberID])< 1000), "100 - 1000", "1001 +"))

When I create a table visualization, it returns "Less than 100" for all row values. 

Result:

State_CDCount of MemberIDMember_Range
AZ910Less Than 100
CA49Less Than 100
FL8000Less Than 100
KY5500Less Than 100
TN15Less Than 100
TX1567Less Than 100
WI345Less Than 100

I can't figure out how to attach the .pbix file or my organization has blocked it.  It seems I can't copy or paste anything either into the body of the text.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.