cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Albertvw Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Filter table based on other table

New to all this ...

How can I filter import of tableA from Access, where field [Month] is equal/less than Tableb[CurMonth], a field we manually update when new month's data is ready to load on BI?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ImkeF
MVP

Re: Filter table based on other table

thanks @austinsense 🙂

filter equal is easiest done by merging with JoinKind.Inner as described in these articles:

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/18/use-timeline-or-slicers-to-filter-your-power-query-import/

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/21/want-to-filter-a-pivottable-based-on-an-external-range-or-l...

filter < is a bit different: There you have to use parameters. To do so you start filtering your table in the desired way by putting in a hardcoded value. After that you edit the resulting M-code and replace the hardcoded value by the parameter.

The parameter can be retrieved from a table by it's coordinates:

queryname[Columnname]{Rownumber-1}

So say your parameter sits in the first row the expression would be: Tableb[CurrMonth]{0}

Rownumber is zero because M starts to count with 0 (for the 1st row)

So this is how the parametrized filter would look like:

= Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Month] < Tableb[CurrMonth]{0})

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Bjoern Established Member
Established Member

Create a calculcated column which checks for the "size" of the month and compare. If comparison is true, parse "Yes", otherwise "No". Then use this help-column for filtering via filter pane or slicer.

Highlighted
austinsense Established Member
Established Member

@ImkeF do you have some query magic for this guy?

Austin is VP Operations at PowerPivotPro and a professional self-service enthusiast 🙂
ImkeF
MVP

thanks @austinsense 🙂

filter equal is easiest done by merging with JoinKind.Inner as described in these articles:

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/18/use-timeline-or-slicers-to-filter-your-power-query-import/

http://www.thebiccountant.com/2015/08/21/want-to-filter-a-pivottable-based-on-an-external-range-or-l...

filter < is a bit different: There you have to use parameters. To do so you start filtering your table in the desired way by putting in a hardcoded value. After that you edit the resulting M-code and replace the hardcoded value by the parameter.

The parameter can be retrieved from a table by it's coordinates:

queryname[Columnname]{Rownumber-1}

So say your parameter sits in the first row the expression would be: Tableb[CurrMonth]{0}

Rownumber is zero because M starts to count with 0 (for the 1st row)

So this is how the parametrized filter would look like:

= Table.SelectRows(Source, each [Month] < Tableb[CurrMonth]{0})

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

Frequent Visitor

Thank you! The imported data table now only shows up to month specified in TableB[mnt]. But, the reports 'working of' this table still include later data, i.e. I though this would restrict all reports based on that table to be limited to that?

I.e. used:  #"Up to Month" = Table.SelectRows(_CSI, each [Month] <= DBmnt[Mnt]{0})

ImkeF
MVP

That's not the expected behaviour.

I know this is  stupid question (but I have no other idea): Are you sure that the following queries are actually referencing this query of did you develop them earlier by just copying the original query? Then you had to apply this filter there as well.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Imke Feldmann

Frequent Visitor

Yes, my 'previous' filter was interfering ... now fixed and working. 

Thank you for your assistance - really appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (1,615)