Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter table (Multiple Condition) using SELECTEDVALUE from slicer - Please Help!

Hi,

Need help in filtering table using SELECTEDVALUE from slicer.

"data" contains all information

Intention is to filter the information from data using the selected value from the slicer

The filter looks like this 

Table =
FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<=SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) && (data[Last Yr of Service]>SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))

When I ran that in DAX, nothing is returned

I tried replacing "SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year])" with a value like "2010" , the code looks like this

Table =
FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<="2010" && (data[Last Yr of Service]>"2010" || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))

and after running that I see results.

SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) is working when I checked using the datacard

learner4eva_0-1611192562495.png

Really appreciate your help! Have been stuck on this problem for the past few days

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous , Try like

Measure =
var _Table = FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<=SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) && (data[Last Yr of Service]>SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))
return
sumx(_table,[Column])

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can not use the slicer value in table creation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your speedy reply. Can you advise what I can do as an alternative?

@Anonymous , There is not alternate you can have this table in measure and use

Measure

var _Table =
FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<=SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) && (data[Last Yr of Service]>SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))

return

sumx(_table,[Column])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit

Unfortunately I got an error message

"The syntax for 'RETURN' is incorrect. (DAX(FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<=SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) && (data[Last Yr of Service]>SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))RETURNSUMX(_Table,[Column])))."

Can you help? Sorry I am not very good in DAX

learner4eva_0-1611194426133.png

@Anonymous , Try like

Measure =
var _Table = FILTER(data,data[First Yr of Service]<=SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) && (data[Last Yr of Service]>SELECTEDVALUE(selected[Year]) || data[Last Yr of Service] = blank()))
return
sumx(_table,[Column])
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Amit,

Unfortunately I am still seeing error message: "Column 'Column' cannot be found or may not be used in this expression." Can you help?

learner4eva_0-1611196103168.png

@Anonymous , This you have use a column from your table

sumx(_table,[Column]) as I am not aware of name, I suggested that

like  this can be

countx(_table,[employee_id])

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot Amit!!! 

I noticed the "measure" method can only return a number. If I would like to create a chart to show count of male of female employees who were employed using the same filter 

How do I create a table for that? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry my bad, I figured how to do it...

Thanks a lot for your excellent support Amit!!

@Anonymous , Thanks for letting us know. In case it is not resolved. Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Also, Check if my HR blog with the Hire and termination date can help.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/HR-Analytics-Active-Employee-Hire-and-Termination-trend/ba-p/882970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6Y-l_JtCq4

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.