Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

grijs
Frequent Visitor

Filter on unrelated table

I have two unrelated tables in Power BI:

Table 1: Experiment information

Columns: Experiment name, Start Date, End Date

Table 2: Measurements

Columns: Date, Measurement

I created a filter on Experiment level, where one of the experiments in Table 1 can be selected. Now I want another visualization that shows the measurements of Table 2, just for that experiment. So the filtering on Table 2 (Date should be between Start Date and End Date of the selected experiment) should be done on the selection of the experiment in Table 1.

How can this be done? I am looking for hours now, and don't get it solved...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@grijs

What about a calculated table? You can use the two visuals basing on the same calculated table.

Table =
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( 'Experiment information', 'Measurements' ),
    Measurements[Date] >= 'Experiment information'[Start Date]
        && Measurements[Date] <= 'Experiment information'[End Date]
)

Capture.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@grijs

What about a calculated table? You can use the two visuals basing on the same calculated table.

Table =
FILTER (
    CROSSJOIN ( 'Experiment information', 'Measurements' ),
    Measurements[Date] >= 'Experiment information'[Start Date]
        && Measurements[Date] <= 'Experiment information'[End Date]
)

Capture.PNG

Bitwize_PowerBI
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

I suppose that for one certain date, you only have 1 and only 1 experiment running. (otherwise you'll never be able to achieve what you want)

I suggest you first create a calculated column (new measure => new column) 'experiment name' in your 'measurements table'.  Use the lookupvalue function to fetch the 'experiment name' from you 'experiment' table.

Then create a relationship between your 2 tables based on 'experiment name'.

Your visualisation for the measurements will now be 'auto-filtered' when selecting one experiment.

hope this helps,

Dries

KGrice
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi @grijs. Are you aggregating any of the measurements in your Measurements table? For example, if you have one of your experiments selected and want to show the average of measurements within the start and end date:

AvgMeasurement = 
CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Measurements[Measurement]), FILTER(Measurements, Measurements[Date] >= MIN(Experiments[StartDate])), FILTER(Measurements, Measurements[Date] <= MAX(Experiments[EndDate])))

If you're wanting to get every value to show individually in a separate table, you can try this. Create a slicer with your Experiment Name, then take your Measurement column and put it in a separate table. Assuming your measurement is a number, it will aggregate by default. Hit the drop-down for it under Values in the table, and select Don't Summarize. This will show all of your measurement values, regardless of which experiment they belong to. However, once you drop the above measure on the table as well, it will filter down to only the measurements that correspond to the experiment selected in the slicer.

This will look weird, since you'll have two columns that show the exact same thing. To fix this, adjust the width of either column until it isn't visible.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.