Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter on a value when no visual filter is applied

Dear Community,

Thanks for looking at this. This issue has been a bear for me even though it seems like an easy use case. 

I have the following table-- it captures the ranking of three products across several locations. 

LocationProductRank
LondonA1
LondonB2
LondonC3
MadridC1
MadridB2
MadridA3
FrankfurtB1
FrankfurtC2
FrankfurtA3
ALLC1
ALLA2
ALLB3

The ALL rows captures overall ranks but the values are not obtained from the ranks for other locations (values for ALL are not a function of other rows).

I have a slicer and a table that filters it. I want to show the ALL location when the slicer is not selected. That is, I want to exclude the ALL values from slicer and when the user has not selected any location, I want to show the ALL values. Conversely, when a location is selected I want to show the values for that location only.

Need to show ALL as default value when nothing is selected.Need to show ALL as default value when nothing is selected.

I've gone through a lot of help posts but haven't seen anything I can use. 

Thanks again for your attention. 

Serge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi  @Anonymous ,

I think you can create a measure like the following:

defaultselection 1 =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Location] ) ) )
        COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( ALL ( 'Table'[Location] ) ) ),
    SUM ( 'Table'[Rank] ),
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Location] ) = "ALL",
        SUM ( 'Table'[Rank] ),
        BLANK ()
    )
)

Replace the Rank field with measure “defaultselection 1” and deselect "All" in the Filter. The following is the result:2.PNG

If you need more details, you can watch the video, set default value of slicer power bi

Here is a demo, please try it:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EYDBexq6JqVAtGOWpR7E_xUBxo_j7z3R67K9BrV2xVmKWQ?e=lzdCiW

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi  @Anonymous ,

I think you can create a measure like the following:

defaultselection 1 =
IF (
    COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[Location] ) ) )
        COUNTROWS ( DISTINCT ( ALL ( 'Table'[Location] ) ) ),
    SUM ( 'Table'[Rank] ),
    IF (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Location] ) = "ALL",
        SUM ( 'Table'[Rank] ),
        BLANK ()
    )
)

Replace the Rank field with measure “defaultselection 1” and deselect "All" in the Filter. The following is the result:2.PNG

If you need more details, you can watch the video, set default value of slicer power bi

Here is a demo, please try it:

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EYDBexq6JqVAtGOWpR7E_xUBxo_j7z3R67K9BrV2xVmKWQ?e=lzdCiW

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, this is perfect!

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You could do something like the following

Rank Measure = 
VAR _location = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Location], "ALL") RETURN IF ( COUNTROWS(CALCULATETABLE('Table', 'Table'[Location]= _location)) = 1,
CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Rank]),'Table'[Location] = _location))

The first variable will get the selected location from your slicer, if nothing is selected it will return "ALL"

In the return statement I am checking if there is only 1 row in the current context for 'Table'. This is basically checking if the product column has been used in the query or in a filter. If not, the expression will return blank. Finally the MAX is just to force the expression to return a scalar value. At that point we should only have 1 row anyway.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.