Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

Filter issues

Hello, I have two dates with data. Whenever I filter by one month it still shows as the total of all the months on the cards and other visuals. Is there a way to fix this issue? Thanks.

Power BI.PNGPOWER bi 2.PNG

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

When viewing my report after I publish it, a random filter is activated. It's not locked so wondering why it's active. It's a problem becuase I'll have to tell everyone to clear that filter before reading the report. Help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like it's working now! No filters are activated when publishing which is what I need.

Always do this @Anonymous 

1. Remove any/all filters as desired in the desktop before publishing, including closing the filter pane if it is open but not necessary. (takes up room)
  2. Publish
  3. Reset any filters in the service with this button
    1. edhans_0-1615404072167.png
    2. If it is grayed out, that means nothing is set to clear, which is good.
  4. Then republish the app for the workspace.

That should mean your end user has the report with no selections set. 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
joohyo
Frequent Visitor

Bump

I'd love to help further, but cannot based on your description or without a sample file. 

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

Power BI 1.PNGPower BI 2.PNGPower BI 3.PNG

In photo 1 you can see if i click a certain bar on the bar graph it filters by that individual organization as with the other visuals for a certain date in this case January.

In photo 2 you can see if I dont click a certain bar (selects all organization) it only filters the bar graph by January date, but the other visuals are still showing both Jan. and Feb when I just want it to show the sum of all organizations for just the Jan data. As you see in photo 3 it shows when I select both dates it shows the same amount of numbers for other visuals from photo 2 

@RMDNA @edhans

I still think you are using the two tables, which you should not. Unload the February table if, like you say, the Jan and Feb data are in the January data.

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

@edhans The Jan table has both the Jan and Feb data. The visuals are working based off only the Jan table. When I deleted the Feb Table I still get the same results.

Thanks.

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

@edhans where can I attach my file for you to take a look at?

@joohyo,

Upload the PBIX to Dropbox or OneDrive and provide us with the link.

edhans
Super User
Super User

@joohyo - without knowing too much about the data in your tables, it would seem to me those two tables should be one table.

If they came in through Get Data, rather than loading those two tables, create an Append Query in the Query window to merge the two tables into one, then uncheck "Enable Load" on the two source tables.

I am assuming the two tables are identical data but two different months of it (January sales, February sales) for example.

That will eliminate your issue of crossfiltering.

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

@edhans Hello,

What I did was I had a January table and then used the get data I have imported the February table. Then I used the appended function to insert the February data into the January table. Each time I filter just by January (or just february) it filters properly on just one client, but does not filter as the total of the entire client.

If the January table has Jan+Feb data, then you don't need the Feb table to be checked for "enable load"

What might be happening is your feb data in the visuals is being pulled from the Feb table and that will cause the issue you are seeing, as those tables aren't related, and really cannot be related.

I'd back up your PBIX file just in case because this could trash some of your visuals, but back it up, then go to the queries and uncheck "enable load" for the Feb table and save that.

Now all of your data should be in the Jan table if you did the append, and crossfiltering should work.

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I have appended and combined the Jan and Feb data together. However, the visuals only filter by client on a certain date (ex. jan). However, when I do not select a client on the bar graph I would like to see the total of all clients for just January, but it is not filtering and showing the combined data of both Jan. and Feb.

Is there a solution to this?

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @joohyo,

Did you use any measures? What's the formulas?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Dale,

I am fairly new to PowerBi and do not know how to set up formulas or measures. Will that solve the issues? If so what needs to be done?

Thanks,

Joo

Hasan
Resolver I
Resolver I

do you have a relationship between those tables? if you dont that could be causing that issue

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

I have also appended my data from the February data into the January data therefore, it is technically one table.

joohyo
Frequent Visitor

Hello Hasan,

I am fairly new to PowerBI. What are relationships and how should I form them?

Thanks,

Joo

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.