Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calen
Helper I
Helper I

Filter is Filtering Too Much

Hello All!

I have been searching for about a week and have not found a fix to this problem. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. 

I have a report that compares current year sales and sales discounts (melt) to last years sales, and sales discounts. At the end of every year we close the books with journal entries to bring the accounts back to 0 (or close to 0). The snip below is my starting point. 

calen_0-1606149397118.png

All of the closing journal entries have a description of "Close Income". In order to get a true comparison, I added a page level filter that says show items when the description does not contain "Close Income". Fantastic! I now see current year sales and prior year sales. The only problem, it's filtering out my Melt (Discounts) column as you can see below. 

calen_1-1606149635824.png

Below is just part of a long list of items that would fall under the melt column. As you can see, no where is the description is there "close income" but it is still being dropped when I apply the filter to the page. 

calen_2-1606149895059.png

Below is my measure for melt and melt last year. From what I can tell, this shouldn't be causing the issue. 

Melt =
CALCULATE(
    SUM('G_L Entry'[Posted Amount]),
    'G_L Entry'[G_L Account No_]
        IN { "4020", "4030", "4035", "4040" }
)

Melt LY =
CALCULATE(
SUM('G_L Entry'[Posted Amount]),
'G_L Entry'[G_L Account No_]
IN { "4020", "4030", "4035", "4040" },
SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date'[ActualDate].[Date]))

Thanks,
Calen
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
calen
Helper I
Helper I

@Pragati11 Thanks for your help with this! It helped shift my train of thought which helped me solve it! I went to my data queries by clicking "Transform Data". From there I applied the filter. For some reason it works when applying the filter there instead of on the page level. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
colacan
Resolver II
Resolver II

@calen  I can't be sure  100% without the pbix but,

I recomend to test Melt & Melt LY with card visual first (not matrix) to check whether it give desired result. 

If it give corrrect number, then maybe the filtering is afftected by other measures within matrix.

If it gives again blank, rather using page fiter, change the DAX code to exclude "Closing Income"
(by either filter the Description or adding condition in calculation)

Hope this helps.

calen
Helper I
Helper I

@Pragati11 Thanks for your help with this! It helped shift my train of thought which helped me solve it! I went to my data queries by clicking "Transform Data". From there I applied the filter. For some reason it works when applying the filter there instead of on the page level. 

HI @calen ,

Glad it helped. Do accespt the right comment as a solution please if it helped you.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @calen ,

Can you tell which column in your journal entries has a decription = "Close Income"?

Because there are for sure something getting filtered based on your Page Level filter.

Please share some sample data with all the columns used above.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Hello @Pragati11! The description column is the one I'm flitering on that contains "Close Income". As you see below, we do a journal entry on the last day of the year which has this in the description.  

calen_0-1606151208050.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.