Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter in measure on date/time but column has multiple times for same date and doesnt work

Hey I have this formula to filter my values on yesterday and if its monday it should display last friday. The problem is that I cant filter on date because the column is a date/time format with multiple times for the same date so the diagram appears empty for some reason. I think the solution to this problem is to either somehow say in my formula take all times in a certain date or to put all times to 00:00:00 in my column
formula now:

YesterdayEdits = CALCULATE(COUNT('Rdates'[S_SEQ]);IF(WEEKDAY(TODAY();1) = 2;'Rdates'[LOG_TIMESTAMP] = TODAY() -3; 'Rdates'[LOG_TIMESTAMP] = TODAY() -1))

yes there can be duplicates usually 2 of the same kind
sample data:
S_EQ       |         LOG_TIMESTAMP     |    DEPARTMENT
1497817            9-12-2019 13:22:42               A
1497817            9-12-2019 14:13:30               A
1567895            9-12-2019 15:16:30               A
1584748            9-12-2019 12:40:12               A

So assuming you read this at 10/12/2019 the result should be a bar diagram of:
A      4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You are correct, the custom column somehow keeps the datetime format... 

Change the custom column to this instead and it should work.

Timestamp = DATE(YEAR('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]); MONTH('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]);DAY('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]))

Connect on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I'd say the easiest way to resolve this is just to make a copy of the [LOG_TIMESTAMP] column and format it to normal date which you then use instead in this calculation. If you don't want to make a copy of the column you can use the YEAR(), MONTH() and DAY() dax syntax to convert the timestamp to a plain date in the middle of the calculation.

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @tex628 

Yes, but how do I do this formatting? Do you have an example of a formula that does this or can you apply it to my formula I listed below? Making a copy of the column probably isn't that difficult but I'm stuck on the formatting. Not sure if it's easier to do on SQL level or PowerBI level.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Create a new column and reference the timestamp column. 
image.png

Then convert the datatype of the column:

image.png

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @tex628 

This does not work for some reason my bar diagram remains empty. I did test if it could be the formula. When i remove the timestamp filter data is shown. So it is a problem with the date/time I think even if it is date datatype the time is still there but hidden since formatting removes it. Idk though

Edit: I changed it the way you said so it said for example 11/12/2019 then in my bar chart as axis i put timestamp then it works with value count of shipment_seq BUT when i use my formula even as simple as count seq with a filter that timestamp is today -1 and put it as value then my diagram is empty no clue why.

datetime formatted as 21/11/2019datetimedatetimedatedate

So even after formatting PowerBI still see it as seperate values which explains why it is empty. I think either in  DAX formula or in sql the time part needs to be stripped from the date part so 11/11/2019 can be filtered upon like normal dates are.

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

You are correct, the custom column somehow keeps the datetime format... 

Change the custom column to this instead and it should work.

Timestamp = DATE(YEAR('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]); MONTH('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]);DAY('Table (2)'[LOG_TIMESTAMP]))

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.