Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mostvp123
Advocate V
Advocate V

Filter for a chain of related values

Hi all, just need some help for a seemingly simple problem that I cannot wrap my head around.
I have a model where users are connected to different entities. The main data table looks as follows:
main data.PNG
I want to display in a matrix, the people on the rows and the entities on the column. The values are to display the entity names. For this purpose I have created 2 key tables, one for the people and one for the entity numbers which have a one to many relationship with the main data table above:
entities.PNGpeople.PNG
I then dragged the person key table column into the matrix rows, and the entities key table column into the matrix columns. Dragging the the main data table "entity name" column into the matrix values yields the following:
original matrix.PNG
Now, the business requirement is to be able to select an entity in a slicer, and for the matrix to show all the people in the selected entity, but also show the all the other entities that these people are connected to. To do this, I made a second entities key table which has no relationships with the model (I will refer to this table as "entities unrelated"), and wrote the following measures:
Entities count sumx.PNG
sumx.PNG
The slicer uses the entity key table which has no relationships to the model. Basically, the "entities count" measure checks if there is an entity selected in the slicer, and if so counts the rows for those people who are part of the selected entity, but also counts all the rows for the all other entities they are connected to (only if they are indeed a part of the selected entity). The sumx measure is employed to get the totals right. I then drag the sumx measure into my matrix filters and set it to "is not blank". The result, for example, if I select 2 in the slicer is as follows:
result.PNG
This is correct, becuase only bob and david are connected to entity 2, but they are also connected to entities 3 and 1 respectively, which are indeed shown in the matrix. My issue however is as follows. I need to make a separate table where when an entity is selected in the slicer, all the people and entities which are "linked" to the selected entity are to be shown, even if they are not directly linked as in my previous exercise. For example, in my model, david is connected to entities 1 and 2, bob to entities 2 and 3, and max to entities 3 and 4. Mary is only connected to entity 5. When selecting entity 1,2,3 or 4 in the slicer I would like the matrix to show david, bob and max in the rows, and entities 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the columns but not Mary or entity 5, as she is on her own and there are no overlapping entity connections. i.e. David is in entities 1 and 2, bob is also in entity 2 but also in entity C, max is also in entity C but also in entity D). This would be the desired result:
desired.PNGdes2.PNGdes3.PNGdes4.PNGdesired2.PNG
How could I achieve this? Many thanks for anyones help 🙂 

2 REPLIES 2
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

" I need to make a separate table where when an entity is selected in the slicer, all the people and entities which are "linked" to the selected entity are to be shown, even if they are not directly linked as in my previous exercise."
the way I would interpret this is you need a measure that will list all the people connected to an entity (which you will use to supply the row headers)

then you need a measure that will list all the entities that have people in them that are in the list returned by the first measure (which you will use to supply the column headers)

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!