Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MojoGene
Post Patron
Post Patron

Filter for Current Value?

I have a table (Timeslips) that contains data on workers' timesheets (Timekeeper, DateWorked, Hours, etc.). The DateWorked field is related to the Date table. 

I developed the following measure for the 12-month running sum of hours (running from the first day of the previous month in the prior year to the last day of the previous month in the current year):

12-Month Moving Sum Hours = CALCULATE(Sum(Timeslips[Hours]),DATESBETWEEN(Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey],SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR(STARTOFMONTH(Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey])),PREVIOUSDAY(STARTOFMONTH(Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]))),ALL(Timeslips[Hours]))

This measure works fine and properly shows the 12-month running totals for each timekeeper for each month.

I would like to have a visual showing only the current 12-month running total of Hours for each Timekeeper, but I am lost figuring out how to filter the CALCULATE function to accomplish this result. I tried a number of variations on the FILTER function, e.g., FILTER(Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]=TODAY, but nothing has worked so far.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MojoGene

Another way is use date function to get the Year, Month and Day part from TODAY(). Year part minus one, then concatenate each part to get the same day in last year and convert it into date type. Please refer to formula below:

12-Month Moving Sum Hours =

VAR 
TodayInLastYear = DATEVALUE(CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,"-"),MONTH(TODAY())),CONCATENATE("-",DAY(TODAY()))))

RETURN

CALCULATE(Sum(Timeslips[Hours]),
FILTER(ALL(Table_BasicCalendarUS),Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]>TodayInLastYear && Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]<TODAY()),
ALL(Timeslips[Hours]))

Capture000.PNG

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Does your calendar table stop at the current month, or does it over run?  If the latter, you could consider using power query to keep the calendar up to date. Here is an article I wrote last year http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/02/create-a-custom-calendar-in-power-query/

once your our calendar is fixed, you can use LASTDATE to find the latest date and hence month. Alternatively, you could use lastdate on your fact table to the same outcome. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Matt:

Thanks very much for this suggestion. I created one of your custom Date tables. Pretty nifty.

I'll give this suggestion a try.

@MojoGene

Another way is use date function to get the Year, Month and Day part from TODAY(). Year part minus one, then concatenate each part to get the same day in last year and convert it into date type. Please refer to formula below:

12-Month Moving Sum Hours =

VAR 
TodayInLastYear = DATEVALUE(CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE(CONCATENATE(YEAR(TODAY())-1,"-"),MONTH(TODAY())),CONCATENATE("-",DAY(TODAY()))))

RETURN

CALCULATE(Sum(Timeslips[Hours]),
FILTER(ALL(Table_BasicCalendarUS),Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]>TodayInLastYear && Table_BasicCalendarUS[DateKey]<TODAY()),
ALL(Timeslips[Hours]))

Capture000.PNG

Regards,

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.