Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter for 2nd highest volume product, and display chart

Dear Power BI Community,

I am new to DAX, and have trouble solving an issue even after reading posts about this matter.

I intend to Filter for the Products which rank 2nd based on volume.

After which, a chart needs to be displayed, showing the average of values.

From other posts, the solution seems to be a combination of RANKX and COUNTROWS.

However, I have not been able to obtain the correct result.

Attached are pictures of the dataset and report.

Dataset

DataSet.jpg

Report, with instructions

Chart 1.jpg

Code which I used in Chart 1

Charges_AvgByCategory = CALCULATE(AVERAGEX(Info,Info[Charges]),ALLEXCEPT(Info,Info[Category]))

Thanks for reading my post, and thanks in advance for your help!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Column: When filtering for Provider (eg. Happy Hands), columns will automatically populate the 2nd highest volume Product (Palm Lotion, in this case), to obtain the average Charges of Palm Lotion, by Month

Please create below measures:

average = AVERAGE(Info[Charges])
rank = RANKX(ALL(Info[Product]),[average],,DESC,Dense)

In chart visual, add [Month] to axis, add [Product] to legend, and add measure [average] to value. Place [rank] to visual level filter and set its value to 2.

Line: When the above 2nd highest volume Product is populated, line will display a flat line for average of all Charges for this Product, regardless of Provider and Month

I'm afraid this is not achievable. As when you filter dataset by provider "Happy Hands", the records are restricted those highlighted in red. It is not possible to take the blue parts into account to calculate average.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Column: When filtering for Provider (eg. Happy Hands), columns will automatically populate the 2nd highest volume Product (Palm Lotion, in this case), to obtain the average Charges of Palm Lotion, by Month

Please create below measures:

average = AVERAGE(Info[Charges])
rank = RANKX(ALL(Info[Product]),[average],,DESC,Dense)

In chart visual, add [Month] to axis, add [Product] to legend, and add measure [average] to value. Place [rank] to visual level filter and set its value to 2.

Line: When the above 2nd highest volume Product is populated, line will display a flat line for average of all Charges for this Product, regardless of Provider and Month

I'm afraid this is not achievable. As when you filter dataset by provider "Happy Hands", the records are restricted those highlighted in red. It is not possible to take the blue parts into account to calculate average.

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana,

Thanks for the solution to the first question, and for explaining the limitations that will occur for the second question!

It was a great help!

Regards,

StratVar

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

please share your pbix file. Upload the file to onedrive and dropbox and share the link.

Regards,
Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom. Here is the URL for the .pbix file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gzmFCp30abJt5DOwCVnap2t7QBBQ21_C

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.