Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

richard-powerbi
Post Patron
Post Patron

Filter dimension tables in Star schema?

First I had a flat table and when I filtered in the filters pane, it would also filter out the other 'dimension columns'.

Now I made it into a star schema and when I filter 1 dimension in the filters pane, it doesn't filter the other dimensions. It shows all values in that column. I understand why, but how can I achieve this?

Note: I have multiple fact tables that connect to these same dimension tables. Below is 1 of the star schemas.

image.png

8 REPLIES 8
Jim_B
Frequent Visitor

Did you ever find a solution for this?  I've read much about how one can solve this if using slicers, but nothing about how to solve it when using the filter pane.  I've tried many model options and nothing seems to work.  Bi-directional ends up with circular references; I'm never working with M:M relationships and don't intend to; etc. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @richard-powerbi ,

If I understood you correctly you should get the relationships both sided.

Let me know if that's what you wanted and if it worked, if so mark as solution.

BR,

DR

Hi @Anonymous
I know this is a solution, but I always read you should avoid bidirectional relationships for performance and aggregation risks. This way I'll get many bidirectional relationships. Is there another solution? Or how can I check if it messes up my aggregations? I know it happens if there is more than one path to follow, but this is very hard to analyze in a big model....
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think so unless you make some common table that associates all the foreign keys from those all tables.

BR,

DR

So I'm trying to implement this now. Would I have to add the table with only the keys between the fact tables and dimension tables? Or on top of the dimension tables? Could anyone sketch this?

Yea that might be a better solution. I'll accept it as a solution once I've implemented it.

Hi @richard-powerbi ,

How about the result after you follow @Anonymous 's suggestions ?Could you please provide more details about it If it doesn't meet your requirement?

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Dong Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I still have to implement this, when I have no other questions I'll accept it as a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.