Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter data using the value of a filtered table

Hello everyone,

I am using a measure to find the total value of a column based on the value specified.

For example,

Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Word TimeSeries'[GSC_Combined_Impressions]), FIND("dahlia", 'Word Snapshot'[Word],1,0)>0)

However, I have 50 product categories for which I want to make the same calculation. So instead of creating 50 measures like the above, is it possible to use a table that will contain all the terms eg dahlia and when that table is filtered using a slicer to use the first value of the column as a value for the FIND formula?

So the measure might look like

Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Word TimeSeries'[GSC_Combined_Impressions]), FIND([FilteredColumnName], 'Word Snapshot'[Word],1,0)>0)

Any ideas on how this can be achieved?

Hope the above makes sense.

Thank you in advance

George

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

You can add product categories to a slicer, and then pass the selected item value to your FIND function.

Measure =
var selectedvalue = IF(HASONEFILTER('Product'[Product]),LASTNONBLANK('Product'[Product],1),BLANK())
return CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales]),FIND(selectedvalue,Sales[Product],1,0)>0)

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
vik0810
Resolver V
Resolver V

Use FIRSTNONBLANK Function.

Total = CALCULATE(SUM('Word TimeSeries'[GSC_Combined_Impressions]), FIND(FIRSTNONBLANK(table[column], ""), 'Word Snapshot'[Word],1,0)>0)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @vik0810

Thank you for your reply.

I tried this approach before, but unfortunately, it returns an error. The syntax is not correct because the FIRSTNONBLANK is used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression and it is not allowed.

Thank you for your prompt reply and really appreciate your help.

Regards

George

@Anonymous,

You can add product categories to a slicer, and then pass the selected item value to your FIND function.

Measure =
var selectedvalue = IF(HASONEFILTER('Product'[Product]),LASTNONBLANK('Product'[Product],1),BLANK())
return CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales]),FIND(selectedvalue,Sales[Product],1,0)>0)

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-caliao-msft

Hello Charlie,

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed.

I need to start working more with variables.

Thank you!

Regards
George

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.