Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Filter data in chart instead of just highlighting the relevant portion

Say you have 2 bar charts in a report. One showing revenue by Org and another showing revenue by Account.  If I click on one of the Orgs in the 1st bar chart, the 2nd chart shows all Accounts relevant to the Org highlighted with the rest lightened/grayed out.

Is there a way to change that beviour so that it only shows the relevant Accounts and does not show the rest at all? 

7 REPLIES 7
WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

We have recently added a feature called "Visual Interactions" that lets you control how charts cross-highlight or cross-filter each other! You can see details on it in the November update video that was posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErHvpkyQjSg&feature=youtu.be Hope that helps!
dvadithala

Hi there,

I was looking for the samething. It's a shame that this feature is only available few visualizations. What's more confusing is that I can't see the selections if I've selected or filtered using the objects instead of Slicer object. Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

DV

No, different charts act differently in response to click or filter action, there is definitely room to improve there.

We've been discussing the capability of setting the filter behavior for visuals like Filter, Highlight, None. It is in our backlog but has a lower relative priority comparing to other customer feature requests.

I suggest searching on the forums and making sure this feature request is added to the list:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Too-many-values/m-p/3050#U3050

For now you can use slicer as suggested in the previos replies.

Alex.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Not that I am aware of, you want a Slicer instead. So, create an Org slicer.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Yes slicer is an alternative but it takes up space which I thought could be avoided with the clickable chart option. Anyway, hopefully soemthing that will get added in the future. 

andre
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I agree, every chart should have an option to either show the highlighted (before click) value or not...   Particularly for Bar Charts where not only does it become difficult to see the relative value after a click on a different chart to filter but also, if there are a lot of bars on that bar chart, a lot of them just become gray and they become nothing but noise on the visual.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.