Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter dashboard by user login

is it possible to filter a dashboard based on who is logged in viewing the dashboard. I have a dashboard where I would like to have it focused on the indivual viewing the data that it would be related to only them. Also another where a supervisor would log in to view only the data related to his./her employees.

5 REPLIES 5
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Does that make sense? If so, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution. More people who have the same request will find the ideas easily and vote them up to get the feature fixed quickly. 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I use RLS(row level security) and I have a field with the username or email. The System will have user names added and will need the query to be able to filter to a specific user that is logged into the dashboard.

It seems to me that RLS would required I set up a user group for each individual name and then create a filter for that name. 

I am looking for a filter that would not require setting up a filter for each user (unless I am not understanding the RLS solution mentioned).

And if a user is a supervisor I would like to have a dashboard filter the data to the supervisor and his related employees based on his email or username that match what is already supplied in the tables.

Hi @Anonymous ,

Now only RLS can filter content based on users.  However, as you said, we need to set up user groups or add individual names one by one into Security settings. It is not convenient.

On top of that, there is not a workaround that can implement filter reports and dashboards directly. You could vote up the ideas to get the feature fixed quickly.

Dashboard & Report based content filter by "User" permissions 

Filter dashboard based on office 365 User and/or group 

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
dethompson97
Resolver III
Resolver III

You can look into Row-Level Security but this will require a model change as it performs filter of the data based on the user's login (typically their email address).  

Row-level security (RLS) with Power BI can be used to restrict data access for given users. Filters restrict data access at the row level, and you can define filters within roles. You define the roles in the desktop and associate users with the roles in the service.  Be aware that in the Power BI service, admins/members and contributors of a workspace have access to datasets in the workspace. Users with the viewer role will follow the RLS rules but for the others (admins/members and contributors) RLS doesn't restrict this data access.

Here are some links you can reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wN33rTaiB4

Hope this helps!

Dawn Thompson

PS:  If this solution works, please mark it as a solution to help others. Kudos are nice too.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

This is possible using Row Level Security and either USERPRINCIPALNAME() OR USERNAME() functions. You may reference to this link: https://radacad.com/dynamic-row-level-security-with-power-bi-made-simple 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.