Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MiKeZZa
Post Patron
Post Patron

Filter content of date dimension

Hi all,

I have 2 fact tables and 1 date dimension. The date dimension has data from 1-1-1900 untill 31-12-2100.

Fact table 1 has data from 1 year ago untill now and fact table 2 has data from 14 months ago untill 6 weeks in the past (by example). The content of the fact table will be different tomorrow, or next week.

All tables have a column named DATE_ID

I now want to filter the content of the date dimension by the content of the fact tables, so that a data slicer that I'll add to the report is showing only the correct data.

(How) is this possible?

Ps; I don't want to do DAX-tricks on measures, but I want to populate the content of the date table.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MiKeZZa,

But is it possible to join this one to our regular date dimension? I want to use things like (local) holidays and so in, that are specially prepared in our own date dimension.... 

In this scenario, you can try generating the new date dim table from your regular date dim table and also be calculated automatically based on data in "Fact 1" and "Fact 2" table. The formula below is for your reference.Smiley Happy

New Date Dim =
VAR minDate =
    IF (
        MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ) <= MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MIN ( 'Fact 2'[date_id] )
    )
VAR maxDate =
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ) >= MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MAX ( 'Fact 2'[date_id] )
    )
RETURN
    FILTER (
        'Date dimension',
        'Date dimension'[date_id] >= minDate
            && 'Date dimension'[date_id] <= maxDate
    )

Note: Just relate your fact tables with the new created date dim table instead of your regular date dim table.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you supply some sample data and output? Having trouble following from your description. I'm wondering if you should append both your fact tables together. Also, check on the cross-filtering of your relationship and in this case, I think you want to have a bi-directional cross-filter.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Date dimension

date_id date            year month day
1           1900-01-01 1900 1           1

100000 2099-21-31 2099 12         31

Fact 1

date_id     cust_id   count

1234          2345       10

54321        12           100

Fact 2

date_id     prod_id   sum

12              23           5

4524          120          25

Both fact_tables are now joined to date dimension by date_id.

Hi @MiKeZZa,

Do you want to use cust_id column and prod_id column as Slicers to get the corresponding date from Date dimension? Could you be more precisely with your expected output with some sample data?Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

No I don't want that. I want áll the data of the facttables and based on the dates of the facts I want to make the content of the date dim 'smaller'.

When you look al the facttables with the 2 record that I have as an example I want the date dim to start at 12 (lowest date_id) and go to 54321 (highest date_id). Cust_ID and Prod_ID don't do anything at all in this case.

This all is to make thet timeline slicer (https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/show/Timeline1447991079100?WT.mc_id=Blog_Visuals) to be filled with dates that have facts related with it.

Hi @MiKeZZa,

In your scenario, I would suggest you use CALENDARAUTO Function (DAX) to create the Date Dim table, so that the range of dates in Date Dim table is calculated automatically based on data in the model(both "Fact 1" and "Fact 2" table). The formula below is for your reference.Smiley Happy

Date Dim = CALENDARAUTO ()

Regards

I'll try this tomorrow! Looks good.

But is it possible to join this one to our regular date dimension? I want to use things like (local) holidays and so in, that are specially prepared in our own date dimension....

Hi @MiKeZZa,

In this scenario, you can try generating the new date dim table from your regular date dim table and also be calculated automatically based on data in "Fact 1" and "Fact 2" table. The formula below is for your reference.Smiley Happy

New Date Dim =
VAR minDate =
    IF (
        MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ) <= MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MIN ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MIN ( 'Fact 2'[date_id] )
    )
VAR maxDate =
    IF (
        MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ) >= MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MAX ( 'Fact 1'[date_id] ),
        MAX ( 'Fact 2'[date_id] )
    )
RETURN
    FILTER (
        'Date dimension',
        'Date dimension'[date_id] >= minDate
            && 'Date dimension'[date_id] <= maxDate
    )

Note: Just relate your fact tables with the new created date dim table instead of your regular date dim table.

Regards

This is exactly what I'm looking for! This works very nice.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.