Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nleuck
Post Patron
Post Patron

Filter column based on another column

Hello All,

I need some help to find out if it's possible to filter a column based on a column in the Power Query Editor in Power BI Desktop. I have a column called OrderQty and I need it to be less than (<) than other column called TotalAvailable. It seems when I'm in Query Editor though I can only use values and not other columns as a filter. Is there a work around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
nleuck
Post Patron
Post Patron

I ended up just doing the work in the Text of my query where I get the data source. It ended up being easier that way.

@HotChilli your idea would have worked if the two columns were in the same table when I pulled the data in. Thanks for your response.

@v-xuding-msft  your idea would have worked as well except for once you merge queries the data because Mixed and I need it to be Direct Query, that way I don't have to manaul refresh the data. Thanks for your response.

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nleuck ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly mark the helpful answer as a solution if you feel that makes sense. Welcome to share your own solution. More people will benefit from here.

Best Regards,

Xue

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-xuding-msft 

No. None of these helped. Thanks anyways.

Can you provide a data sample, please?

It's not clear to us where the columns you are asking about are located.

Different tables or the same table?

I'm sure we can help.

@HotChilli 

The columns are in two different tables.

OK, thanks.  Is there a data sample?

v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @nleuck ,

Is there a related column between the two tables?If there is, you can merge queries firstly and then to use the function of if to add a new column.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlTSUTICEwZKsTrRSkZAprEBiDAG842BTFNTIGEGkTcBKQXxTc3BfFMYH2hIbCwA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ID = _t, Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"Column2"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Column1", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Merged Queries" = Table.NestedJoin(#"Changed Type", {"ID"}, #"Table (2)", {"ID"}, "Table (2)", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    #"Expanded Table (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merged Queries", "Table (2)", {"Column1"}, {"Table (2).Column1"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Table (2)", "Custom", each if[#"Table (2).Column1"] <= [Column1] then [Column1] else null)
in
    #"Added Custom"

4.PNG5.PNG3.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

If you are comparing values in the same row, add a column  and give it a value (e.g. 1) if one column is bigger than the other (and 0 if not).

Then you filter out the 1s or 0's (depending on your logic) using the dropdown from the column header

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.