Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SanderTK
Frequent Visitor

Filter based on related filtered data

I'm stuck on what I believe is to be a relatively easy subject but for some reason I can't seem to find the right way to get to my desired result:

I've got a fact table of ticket sales and a dimension table of productions connected by a productionID. 

What I'm looking to do is to set a filter on a specific production and get a list of the top x productions that have been booked by the individuals that have booked a ticket for the filtered production.

What this means is that I am filtering a table of BookerIDs by production and then subsequently need to get a list of productions that are related to those filtered BookerIDs and get a count of BookerIDs per production that is filtered by the filtered table of BookerIDs. 

I also realize that it might be neccesary to use a bidirectional filter in order to filter back from the bookerIDs to the productions.

I'm not sure if I would have to use the booker dimension table seeing as though I do a count of the bookerIDs (from the fact.transaction table).

This would answer the business case of: What are the top 10 productions that were visited by the people that bought a ticket for production Y.

TABLES:

Dim.production:

productionID

Production

Titanic

Jungle Book

The Godfather

Batman

Superman

Spiderman

Aladin

Dim.booker:

bookerID

BookerName

Jack

Stacy

Robert

Anne

Ivette

Peter

John

Dirk

Gloria

Helen

Fact.ticketsales:

PersonID

ProductionID

DESIRED RESULT:

Filter: Superman

Count of PersonID

Production

Batman

The Godfather

Jungle Book

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I suggest having a disconnected production slicer table like the attached sample file.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Untitled.png

Count of person measure: =
VAR list_bookerIDs =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( Ticketsales[bookerID] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Ticketsales ),
            Ticketsales[productionID] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Production Slicer'[productionID] )
        )
    )
VAR list_lookerIDs_product =
    FILTER (
        Ticketsales,
        Ticketsales[bookerID]
            IN list_bookerIDs
                && Ticketsales[productionID] <> SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Production Slicer'[productionID] )
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( SUMMARIZE ( list_lookerIDs_product, Ticketsales[bookerID] ) )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I suggest having a disconnected production slicer table like the attached sample file.

Please check the below picture and the attached pbix file.

Untitled.png

Count of person measure: =
VAR list_bookerIDs =
    CALCULATETABLE (
        VALUES ( Ticketsales[bookerID] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( Ticketsales ),
            Ticketsales[productionID] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Production Slicer'[productionID] )
        )
    )
VAR list_lookerIDs_product =
    FILTER (
        Ticketsales,
        Ticketsales[bookerID]
            IN list_bookerIDs
                && Ticketsales[productionID] <> SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Production Slicer'[productionID] )
    )
RETURN
    COUNTROWS ( SUMMARIZE ( list_lookerIDs_product, Ticketsales[bookerID] ) )

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

That is a beautiful solution that I wouldn't ever have thought of.
I will apply it to my datamodel tomorrow and when I've got it working, I'll mark your answer as the solution.
Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.