Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter apply in Query editor

Hi All,

I need to import the CSV file of 25 GB for the last 2 years' data.

The data is very huge so I have applied the filter for the last 6 months to data in query editor to reduce the size.

But Even if applying the filter in Quer editor after Applying the changes, why the data load up to 25 gigs on Power BI desktop?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry, does 25 gigs mean 25 GB? If so, because it is designed this way. If it is the import mode, the data imported into Power BI will not be reduced in size due to your filtering.

If you want to reduce the size of the dataset, please try to load data into SQL Server, and then use advanced option to filter data when importing. Or use Direct Query connection when connecting to SQL Server.

13.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Sorry, does 25 gigs mean 25 GB? If so, because it is designed this way. If it is the import mode, the data imported into Power BI will not be reduced in size due to your filtering.

If you want to reduce the size of the dataset, please try to load data into SQL Server, and then use advanced option to filter data when importing. Or use Direct Query connection when connecting to SQL Server.

13.png

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

this happens because csv and other file-based data sources do not query folding, for this reason, it's necessary to first load everything before the data can be filtered.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.