Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Filter and changing the measure to show 0 instead of blank in DAX

Hello everyone,

when I replace a blank in a measure with 0, and having a date filter my table doesn't get filtered as shown below, for example I do filtre on 2013 but I still see rows for the other years

measures I tried :

// Try 1:
ct_rows = var _res=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('financials (2)'),FILTER('financials (2)','financials (2)'[Product]="Carretera" ))
return _res+0

// Try 2:
ct_rows = var _res=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS('financials (2)'),FILTER('financials (2)','financials (2)'[Product]="Carretera" ))
return if(isblank(_res),0,_res)

// Try 3:
ct_rows = var _res=CALCULATE(COALESCE(COUNTROWS('financials (2)'),0),FILTER('financials (2)','financials (2)'[Product]="Carretera" ))
return _res

Result I got:

as you can see, I filtred on 2013 and I still have rows from 2014as you can see, I filtred on 2013 and I still have rows from 2014

model:

Model.jpg

in case I keep the measure with the blank, my table gets filtered by the date as shown below:

return _res

result for this measure:

for this you can see that it shows only the 2013 that I filtredfor this you can see that it shows only the 2013 that I filtred

can anyone explain to me why I got this behavior, what I did wrong and what should I do to keep the 0 and have my table filtered by date.
any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
daxer-almighty
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi again @Anonymous 

I've looked at it and... do have an explanation but it gets even weirder, so please hold on tight to your seat.

First, here's the query that your visual generates:

// DAX Query
DEFINE
  VAR __DS0FilterTable = 
    FILTER(
      KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('financials (2)'[Country])),
      NOT('financials (2)'[Country] IN {BLANK()})
    )

VAR __DS0FilterTable2 = 
    TREATAS({2013}, 'LocalDateTable_e211ee93-ab6a-4ce7-8478-bbd9e48b684c'[Year])

VAR __DS0Core = 
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
      ROLLUPADDISSUBTOTAL('date'[Date], "IsGrandTotalRowTotal"),
      __DS0FilterTable,
      __DS0FilterTable2,
      "ct_rows_2", 'financials (2)'[ct_rows 2]
    )

VAR __DS0PrimaryWindowed = 
    TOPN(502, __DS0Core, [IsGrandTotalRowTotal], 0, 'date'[Date], 1)

EVALUATE
  __DS0PrimaryWindowed

ORDER BY
  [IsGrandTotalRowTotal] DESC, 'date'[Date]

The reason why you see all the years/dates is due to the fact that you use the AUTOGENERATED time hierarchy and the way SUMMARIZECOLUMNS works. First off, when you manually create columns Year and Quarter in the date table and put them in the slicer and then also on the table visual, the slicer will correctly slice data in the table visual. This is because now the columns come from one and the same table and before they came from 2 different tables. Why? Have a look at the code I got when I put the 2 columns directly into the date table:

// DAX Query
DEFINE
  VAR __DS0FilterTable = 
    FILTER(
      KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('financials (2)'[Country])),
      NOT('financials (2)'[Country] IN {BLANK()})
    )

VAR __DS0FilterTable2 = 
    TREATAS({2013}, 'date'[Year])

VAR __DS0Core = 
    SUMMARIZECOLUMNS(
      ROLLUPADDISSUBTOTAL('date'[Date], "IsGrandTotalRowTotal"),
      __DS0FilterTable,
      __DS0FilterTable2,
      "ct_rows_2", 'financials (2)'[ct_rows 2]
    )

TOPN(502, __DS0Core, [IsGrandTotalRowTotal], 0, 'date'[Date], 1)

EVALUATE
  __DS0PrimaryWindowed

ORDER BY
  [IsGrandTotalRowTotal] DESC, 'date'[Date]

What has changed? Can you spot it?

_DS0FilterTable2 now filters a column in a different table! This, paired with how SUMMARIZECOLUMNS works, explains the behaviour you observe. The explanation of the behaviour of SUMMARIZECOLUMNS would take an article on its own, so please read this: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/peculiar-behavior-summarizecolumns-dax-abhinav-khanduja/ where my work peer dissects the weird behavour you observe. However, this behaviour is technically correct and follows from the specification of the function.

But it gets even weirder, as I mentioned. Have a look at this:

daxer-almighty_0-1620522456194.png

Can you see what's wrong?

Country (which comes from financials) gets filtered in the slicer because the Country slicer executes this DAX:

/ DAX Query
DEFINE
  VAR __DS0FilterTable = 
    FILTER(
      KEEPFILTERS(SUMMARIZE(VALUES('date'), 'date'[Year], 'date'[Quarter])),
      AND(
        'date'[Year] IN {"2013"},
        NOT(('date'[Year], 'date'[Quarter]) IN {("2013", "Q-1")})
      )
    )

VAR __DS0Core = 
    CALCULATETABLE(
      VALUES('financials'[Country]),
      KEEPFILTERS(__DS0FilterTable)
    )

TOPN(101, __DS0Core, 'financials'[Country], 1)

EVALUATE
  __DS0PrimaryWindowed

ORDER BY
  'financials'[Country]

but the countries are not filtered in the table visual. And now you don't even get a chance to click anything in the slicer to limit the entries in the table!

"Cool," isn't it? 🙂

As I said, this behaviour according to all common sense is absurd and completely wrong but technically correct from the point of view of SUMMARIZECOLUMNS.

I think Microsoft have a problem. This issue needs to be reported to them. I would classify this behaviour as a bug and this is a bug of a very big callibre.

I'll have to make sure this reaches Microsoft's attention since such a behaviour of SUMMARIZECOLUMNS and the auto-generated date table is not acceptable by any means.

@Greg_Deckler@edhans@amitchandak, @OwenAuger@Fowmy@jdbuchanan71@HotChilli... Guys, can you please help file this bug properly so that it gets Microsoft's attention?

Many thanks.

Here is a link to the file that demonstrates the above: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApyQEauTSLtOgZZvc-RUdoyLZZoQgQ?e=64tk79

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

its possible your bidirectional relationship is responsible, you really need a separate date table, with continguous dates that links to both tables on date in a one to many scenario, using the date table on the slicer.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.