Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndyTrezise
Helper II
Helper II

Filter and Select All

Hi

I use two slicers that allow me to filter tasks in a table.

one slicer controls projects and the other slicer controls resources.

My data model is bi-directional so if I select a project in the first slicer I only see relevant resources in my second slicer and the appropriate tasks are shown in my table. That works fine.

However - what I'd like to do is first select a project to get the relevent resources and then ignore the project filter in my table so that I see ALL tasks for ALL projects but only for the resources on the original project.

I tried to enable the 'select all' option on my resources slicer and then select all the resources whilst filtering my project but that doesn't work as expected. Instead it selects all resources from the resource table (and not just those relevant to my project)....so that when I remove the project filter I see ALL resources again.

If I turn 'single select' off then I can manually select all the resources then remove the project filter and I get the desired results - all tasks for all relevant resources - but I could have upto 20 resources so that would mean 20 clicks and I need this to be a 1 or 2 click operation.

Any help much appreciated....I'm sure there must be a more appropriate visual with some kind of 'select all selected' option.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@AndyTrezise,

Please check if edit interactions feature meets your requirement. If not, please share screenshots and dummy data of your tables to describe your desired result.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-reports-visual-interactions

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Lydia

Below you can see the data model in the first image - it's pretty simple.

In the second image I have chosen a project 'ME04-006' which has then filtered the resource slicer. I have then manually selected each resource click by click. This gives me the results I am looking for. However I don't want to have to select each resource as there could be 20 or more.

So...I thought I could just use 'Select All' on the resources slicer to select all VISIBLE resources but instead it ignores the fact that I am still filtering by project and instead just selects every resource. As in Image 3.

Data ModelData ModelManually Selected ResourcesManually Selected ResourcesSelect All ResourceSelect All Resource

@AndyTrezise,

Could you please share the PBIX file to me via Private Message? Based on my test, even all the resources id are selected by using "select all" option, the visual is filtered as that in image 2.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi - that would be great

I'm not sure how to attach files to a message though...there is no option for file attachments.

Would you like me to email you a sample PBIX?

@AndyTrezise,

I have sent you a private message.

Regards,
Lydia

@AndyTrezise,

What version of Power BI Desktop do  you use? I click select all in your resource slicer, the Matrix visual is filtered as image 2 you have post.

Regards,
Lydia

Version: 2.59.5135.601 64-bit (June 2018)

If I use the hierarchy slicer insted of the statndard slicer then I can achieve the results I need.

Select the project you require in the top slicer.

Then, in the resource slicer, click the top level of the hierarchy to select ALL the resources.

Now unselect the project in the top slicer.

The matrix then shows ALL hours / work for just those resources you are interested in.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.