Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

Filter a column without creating join in Power BI Desktop

I have two tables, one uservendor relationship table and other ProductVendor table.

What I want is when I login as a user, Vendor should be defaulted to my own Vendor from Uservendor table.

And the correspondng Product slicer should have list of all products tagged to my Vendor.

However I don't want to create join between these two tables as it will filter out the other vendors data which I dont want.

Because along with that I also have one more slicer which should give me list of other vendor's product.

So can we have a Product Slicer to show the products of my own vendor in a slicer ? Basically I need to filter a column without creating join.

6 REPLIES 6
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @akj2784,

I'd like to suggest you to create RLS with username function to achieve your requirement.

RLS with UserName()

Logic:
1. Username function will return current domain user.
2. Use above user to get filtered vendors from user table.
3. Apply filter effect on vendor table .

BTW, it will be help for coding formula if you share some sample data and table structure.

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

I have tried that but it doesnt work.

here is the link with sample dataset.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhH0hVVCLnYFaUfcoeKuFMP9QKo

Hi @akj2784,

After check on your user vendor table, I find your records not support to use username to find specific vendors.

You can try to create a measure to check selected users' vender.

Check Tag = 
VAR user =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( UserVendor[User] )
VAR vendorlist =
    CALCULATETABLE ( VALUES ( UserVendor[Vendor] ), UserVendor[User] = user )
RETURN
    IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Product'[Vendor] ) IN vendorlist, 1, 0 )

Result:

2.gif

Notice: USERNAME fucntion will return current user  name as username@domain.com(e.g Tom@abcCompany.com)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thank you for putting an effort.

My requirement is to constrain the Vendor slicer to show only User's vendor which I am able to achieve using USERNAME() function.

However, the moment I add RLS to show only relevant vendor in the Vendor slicer, it actually filters other Vendor's product from the table itself which I don't want.

Because my requirment is to show list of all other Vendor's product in the Competitior Product slicer.

eg.

I am from Oracle, when I login to Dashboard, my Vendor slicer should default to Oracle. 

Its Corresponding Product slicer should display all the Oracle's product. lets say I selected Oracle Busines Intelligence Enterprise Edition(OBIEE) product.

Now I will find the Category of the selected Product which is Business Intelligence.

Once I get the category as Business Intelligence, I have to show list of all other Vendor's product in the slicer. e.g. Microsoft Power BI, IBM Cognos etc even though they are from different vendor like Microsoft and IBM respectively.

So basically I want to compare how my own product i.e. oracle's OBIEE is performing as compared to competitior Microsoft Power BI and IBM Cognos. 

Regards,

Akash

Hi @akj2784,

AFAIK, current RLS not support this feature, please submit an idea to ideas forum to help us improve this feature.

For your scenario, I 'd like suggest you to break relationship to keep records (it will effect current RLS filter effect) or duplicate tables in query editor as compare tables.(please remember to remove relationships to other tables to break RLS effect)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

akj2784
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

tried Column = LOOKUPVALUE( Column, Search Column, SELECTEDVALUE(Column B))

but it doesnt work . It shows null in the Column data. It does not through error.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.