Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Fair-UL
Helper II
Helper II

Filter a column by a specific value in another column

Hi. I have this mock data table

projectFindings
x1
x1
x1
x1
y1
y2
y1
y1
z1
z2
z

I want the result to be the project ID that has only value =1. In this case, this should be project X. I will use this in count card and bar graph. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Fair-UL 

Try this measure to achieve the project ID with only value 1.

Project_ID =

CALCULATE (

IF (

MINX ( Project, IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Project[Findings] ) = 1, 1, 0 ) ) = 1,

SELECTEDVALUE ( Project[Project] ),

BLANK ()

),

ALLEXCEPT ( Project, Project[Project] )

)

v-jingzhang_0-1599196773792.png

Or another way in case you need, create calculated columns to count the number of values for each project and mark whether a project has only one value 1. In this way, you can use filters/slicers or other methods to filter the projects with only value 1.

Count Of Values =

CALCULATE (

DISTINCTCOUNT ( Project[Findings] ),

FILTER (

Project,

Project[Project]

= EARLIER ( Project[Project] )

)

)

Has Only Value 1 =

IF (

AND ( Project[Count Of Values] = 1, Project[Findings] = 1 ),

"Yes",

BLANK()

)

v-jingzhang_1-1599196773799.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Jing Zhang

If this post helps, please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Fair-UL,

This may not be the best solution but it achieves what you want:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WqlDSUTJUitUhxKpEYRlhEYOwqlBYRshisQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t, Column2 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column1", type text}, {"Column2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type",{{"Column1", Order.Ascending}, {"Column2", Order.Descending}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Custom", each if [Column2] = 2 then "Exclude"
else null),
    #"Filled Down" = Table.FillDown(#"Added Custom",{"Custom"})
in
    #"Filled Down"
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

You can count the number of such projects like this:

CountProjectsWithOnly1Findings =
COUNTROWS (
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( MockData[project] ),
        CALCULATE ( SELECTEDVALUE ( MockData[Findings] ) ) = 1
    )
)

Note that SELECTEDVALUE throws a blank if there are multiple values. 

I tried this solution but it gives me all projects with value 1. I need projects with value=1 ONLY (meaning that if one project has both 1 and 2, I do not want it to be counted. 

It is like I donot want anything in the intersection area to be counted. I hope this is clear now.

Thanks for the quick response and the DAX

If a project has both 1 and 2, then SELECTEDVALUE throws a blank and the condition should fail.

If the formula isn't working, it might be that you are trying to use it in a context that doesn't include all of the rows associated with a project. For example, it probably won't work like you expect if you try to use it in a calculated column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.