Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tkrupka
Resolver II
Resolver II

Filter a Matrix based on slicers/measures

I have a matrix and a couple of slicers.  

The slicers allow the user to pick the month and the year they want the report to end.

Then I have the following two measures:

Selected Report Month = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[Month_Number])

Selected Report Year = SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[Year])

Now that I have my end of report setup, I have used measures to determine the start of the report:

Start Report Date Month = [Selected Report Month]+1

Start Report Date Year = [Selected Report Year] - 1

Report Start = DATE([Start Report Date Year], [Start Report Date Month], 1)

This give me a MM/DD/YYYY hh:mm:ss start date.

From here I finished my end report date:

Report End = EOMONTH([Report Start],11)+TIME(23,59,59)

So now I have the bounds of my report from Midnight on the 1st of a month until 23:59:29 on the last day of the 12th month.

So the question now is, how can I filter a matrix based on the [Report Start] and [Report End] measures?

My Power BI File

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Depends. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

You could create a filtering measure the reports back if a row in your matrix falls within the report start and end date but the specifics of that are tough to pin down without sample data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

Accomplished what I was trying to do.

Filter Month = IF(AND(MAX(Run_Data[Date])>=[Report Start Date Month],MAX(Run_Data[Date])<=[Report End Date]),1,2)
Filter Year = IF(AND(MAX(Run_Data[Date])>=[Report Start Date Year],MAX(Run_Data[Date])<=[Report End Date]),1,2)

Then I had to ensure that Sync Slicers was selected on the view tab. (Missed that)

Since I was setting the page up as static for a particular region, I was able to set up two matrix.

1st Matrix I set the Filter Month = 1

2nd Matrix I set the Filter Year = 1

Now I have:

Finished Product.JPG

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for leading me down the right path.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Depends. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

You could create a filtering measure the reports back if a row in your matrix falls within the report start and end date but the specifics of that are tough to pin down without sample data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler wrote:

@Greg_Deckler 

So I was trying to figure out a way to do this.

I tried the following:

Report Year = FILTER(Run_Data, AND(Run_Data[Date] <= [Report Start Date Year], Run_Data[Date] >= [Report End]))

-OR-

Report End = FILTER(Run_Data, Run_Data[Date] >= [Report End])

And for both cases I get the error:

"The expression refers to multiple columns. Multiple columns cannot be converted to a scalar value."

Also tried without measures:

Report End = FILTER(Run_Data, Run_Data[Date]>=(SELECTEDVALUE('Calendar'[Date].[Year])))

Accomplished what I was trying to do.

Filter Month = IF(AND(MAX(Run_Data[Date])>=[Report Start Date Month],MAX(Run_Data[Date])<=[Report End Date]),1,2)
Filter Year = IF(AND(MAX(Run_Data[Date])>=[Report Start Date Year],MAX(Run_Data[Date])<=[Report End Date]),1,2)

Then I had to ensure that Sync Slicers was selected on the view tab. (Missed that)

Since I was setting the page up as static for a particular region, I was able to set up two matrix.

1st Matrix I set the Filter Month = 1

2nd Matrix I set the Filter Year = 1

Now I have:

Finished Product.JPG

Thanks @Greg_Deckler for leading me down the right path.

My Power Bi File

Here is the file I am using.

The dropdown selections are on the first page, and the matrix is on the third page.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.