Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

medward
Regular Visitor

Filter / Slicer not affecting Chart Axis nor Table

Problem

My visuals seem not to be affected by on page slicers, nor Page level filters, nor Report level filters. 

I am using: Desktop v2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018)

Example

I am using,

•  two tables (EventDate and Event);
    • The tables are related via a date key.  The relationship is EventDate (One) to Event (Many)
  •  two fields (EventDate[Event Date] and Event[#Event Count];
    • where [#Event Count] is a measure = CountRows(Event)+0
  • three visuals (a date Slicer, a Stacked Column Chart, and a Table);
    • Slicer | Field = EventDate[Event Date]
    • Column Chart | Axis = Event Date[Event Date] | Value = Event[#EventCount]
    • Table | Values = EventDate[Event Date]

Through Query Editor the EventDate table has daily values from 1/1/2010 - 12/31/2020.  When adjusting my Slicer to be dates of 1/1/2013 to 12/31/2016 I would expect the Column chart to adjust the axis to be between within these dates.  Instead the axis shows all dates (2010 - 2020), but the [#Event Count] value adjusts to only consider those within the selected date range.  This same concept holds with the Table as well; the Table has no change in values but shows all dates between 2010 and 2020.  This makes me think the slicers / filters are not filtering the data table itself.

PBI Help.png

Desired Outcome  

When applying a slicer I would like that slicer to affect both the axis as well as the measures, rather than just affecting the measures.  I would like a column chart who's axis only shows those dates within the selected Slicer values, and includes dates within that selected timeframe who's measure may or may not be 0.

Any help is much appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MFelix,

Thanks for the response.  Switching to a categorical yielded the same results; see below.

PBI Help Categorical 2.png

However, I think I found a solution.  The "Mark as Date Table" function / button (in Ribbon--> Modeling --> Calendars tab --> Mark as Date Table) seemed to do the trick.  Now both continuous and categorical work.  This must be a somewhat new button as I dont recall seeing it before.

PBI Help Continuous.png

Thanks for your time though!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @medward,

I believe that you are having an issue with the type of X-axis you have, if you look at your chart you have only 3 columns and I can assume if you stop on it you will get the tooltip  for the years you put on the slicer.

Go on the options of the visual and to X-axis then change it from Continuos to Categorical and you should get the expected result.

when using date it assumed by default that you want continuous dates so the outcome is what you have in x-axis.

Regards,

Mfelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Hi @MFelix,

Thanks for the response.  Switching to a categorical yielded the same results; see below.

PBI Help Categorical 2.png

However, I think I found a solution.  The "Mark as Date Table" function / button (in Ribbon--> Modeling --> Calendars tab --> Mark as Date Table) seemed to do the trick.  Now both continuous and categorical work.  This must be a somewhat new button as I dont recall seeing it before.

PBI Help Continuous.png

Thanks for your time though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.