Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lwklwk98
Helper I
Helper I

Filter Problem - Show Top 3 Companies for a particular category

Hello!

I really need help with this particular question.

Here is a mock dataset:

Product Type   Companies    Profit ($)    
AHop1000
ATop200
ACop0
BHop200
BTop0
BCop3000
CHop0
CTop0
CCop10000
DHop100
DTop0
DCop300
EHop300
ETop0
ECop0
FHop2000
FTop100
FCop1000

You can assume that there are A to F different types of products. There are a lot more companies and as you can infer that not all companies bring in sales for every product. 

I want to create a table/matrix visualization that shows the Top 3 Companies for each Product and its respective profit amount. I can not seem to filter this properly and I would appreciate any help!.

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lwklwk98 , Create a measures like

Profit M = sum(Table[Profit ($)])

rank = rankx(filter(allselected(Table[Product Type], Table[Companies]), [Product Type] = max([Product Type])), [Profit M])

and filter for Rank <=3

also refer

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/filtering-the-top-3-products-for-each-category-in-power-bi/

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@lwklwk98 , Create a measures like

Profit M = sum(Table[Profit ($)])

rank = rankx(filter(allselected(Table[Product Type], Table[Companies]), [Product Type] = max([Product Type])), [Profit M])

and filter for Rank <=3

also refer

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/filtering-the-top-3-products-for-each-category-in-power-bi/

@amitchandak 

Sorry to bother you on this again, but can I ask if there is a way to do a double filter? 

I have the desired table but when I sort by each Product Type, the ranking will be jumbled up like 1,3,2 etc. I hope that the rank can be 1,2,3 consistently for all the product types.

I searched online and there isn't any double sorting so I was wondering if there is any quick method to resolve this? 

Thank you so much!

@lwklwk98 , In the table visual you can sort on two column. Sort on one column, with Shift pressed click on another column.

@amitchandak Much Appreciated!

@amitchandak  Omg this is perfect! THANKS so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors