Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrislfish
Helper I
Helper I

Filter Pane issues in PBI Desktop for old reports

On some older reports downloaded from PBI Service, the filter pane will not appear in PBI Desktop no matter what settings are chosen.  It only happens on some reports and seems to be related to when the report was first created, but that is really just a guess.  The "Filters" selection is there under the View menu / Show panes, but turning it on and off does nothing.  Also when loading pbix files that are around a year old or older, the filter pane is there, but the "Filters" selection under the View menu / Show panes is gone.  This was happening with the 2020-06-10 version of PBI Desktop and it happens with the newest version as of today as well.  Are these issues happening to anyone else?  Any ideas on work-arounds short of recreating the reports?  I don't know if this is the case or not, but could it have something to do with reports that were either created or edited in PBI Service rather than in PBI Desktop and published?

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @chrislfish 

If you create a report in Power bi desktop, you can go to View->Filter to turn on/off filter pane.

If you donwload a pbix file from Power BI Service which is created by others, please pay attention to the settings and ask the owners to turn on them.

When creating a report in Power bi desktop, you can choose filter options as below:

Capture13.JPG

Then publish reports to Power BI Service, as the owner of the report, you could change the setting

Capture14.JPG

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I'm talking about when in Power BI Desktop, only for some downloaded pbix files, the filter pane won't appear no matter what combination of settings I choose.

Here is an example:

chrislfish_0-1594232401394.png

As you can see, the Filters pane is selected in the View menu, but there is no Filters pane visible.  This is a pbix that I downloaded from our PBI service.  When I start PBI Desktop with no pbix, the Filters pane is there.  As soon as I load the pbix, it disappears even though it is selected in the View menu.  This doesn't happen for all pbix files downloaded, but seems to be consistent for each report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.