Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rtaylor
Helper III
Helper III

Filter Options and Differences between files: Is there any option within a power bi destkop for this

Hello,

Is there any option within a power bi destkop that would affect the how filters work? (Due to the financials, I can't post the Power BI File)

Background:

I have two files with mostly the same data except one file is older. The newer file doesn't work when selecting filters of dates and a category table. The top pic is older, and the bottom is newer. It makes no sense that if the measures are the same, I should get a similar set of results.

See images below

Newer File - Published File Showing the issue (Filter Only Works if JULY is selected)

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZWViOTA5ZWItYzI5Zi00ZGMwLTk3N2EtZjEwNjE3MGY0MWQyIiwidCI6Ijk2N...

Another related issue. AFTER a month(other than July) is selected, user is unable to change the slicer selections for Budget Overhead.

What's been checked(manually checked):

measures

desktop options.

Data in the selected months(proved by published file).

Old File ImageOld File ImageNew File ImageNew File Image

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for you reply.

I think I may have figured it out. The file was corrupted somehow, and I have create a template power bi file and reload all of the data. Its working just fine now.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rtaylor ,

You may create relationships between theses related tables above first of all, recommend to use star schema instead of circle schema for the data model, and change the Cross filter direction of all relationships from Single to Both , which will take these tables treated as a single table. See more about relationship :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-create-and-manage-relationships.

Then when you make some selections in slicers, it will return corresponding result.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for you reply.

I think I may have figured it out. The file was corrupted somehow, and I have create a template power bi file and reload all of the data. Its working just fine now.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @rtaylor 

If they are almost the same file, you can try to append them.

Then you will just use one file so there will be no problem with filtering.

Sometimes filtering is affected by the relationship direction you created between tables.

Hello thanks for your comment,

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. By files I mean power bi files. There are almost identical except for the filter doesn't work.

It can't be a relationship because these two table aren't related. One is dimension category, and the other is a date table.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.