Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

EbyEaso
Helper III
Helper III

Filter - Last Submission Date

Hello,

I have a query comes from Excel. I need to filter only the data whcih has the last submission date.

Below is the table for example. 1A, 1B & 1C has submisison in Sep & Jul. 1A & 1C has submission in Sep, Jul & Jun. Finally 1D has only submission in May.

Student IDSubmit Date
1A21-Sep-21
1B21-Sep-21
1C21-Sep-21
1A20-Jul-21
1B20-Jul-21
1C20-Jul-21
1A20-Jun-21
1C20-Jun-21
1D20-May-21

So I need to filter out this in Power Query with the last submission for each student ID.

Whcih I need it like this.

Student IDSubmit Date
1A21-Sep-21
1B21-Sep-21
1C21-Sep-21
1D20-May-21

Can anyone help me with this please.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@EbyEaso OK, the try:

let
Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://myselfsharepoint.com/sites/programs-myself/", [Implementation=null, ApiVersion=15]),
#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a" = Source{[Id="0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a"]}[Items],

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a",{{"Student ID", type text}, {"Submit Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Student ID"}, {{"Submit Date", each List.Max([Submit Date]), type nullable date}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@EbyEaso Try:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMnRU0lEyMtQNTi3QNTJUitUBCjlhCjljCoE1Guh6leagakQVcsYUgmvMw1SFEHKBCPkmVoKFYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Student ID" = _t, #"Submit Date" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Student ID", type text}, {"Submit Date", type date}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Student ID"}, {{"Submit Date", each List.Max([Submit Date]), type nullable date}})
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

It's a basic Group by...

Latest book!:

Thank You. @Greg_Deckler 

What is this. Am actually newer to Power BI. This i can use in Power Query Editor?

(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMnRU0lEyMtQNTi3QNTJUitUBCjlhCjljCoE1Guh6leagakQVcsYUgmvMw1SFEHKBCPkmVoKFYgE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64)

@EbyEaso That's just an Enter Data query where I pasted your data into.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler SO what I need to do. Can you please help me out.

@EbyEaso Go into Advanced Editor. Take everything underneath your Source line and possibly Navigation line and replace it with:

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Student ID", type text}, {"Submit Date", type date}}),
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

In the #"Changed Type" line if you left in a Navigation line then you will need to change Source to Navigation. 

It's hard for me to tell you exactly because I have no idea what transformations you are performing in your query.

Latest book!:

Hello @Greg_Deckler 

This is what I have in my Advanced Editor. Actually my source is from Sharepoint List. So what I need to do in here.

Please note: I have changed the web address below to share with you. I dont want to put out my actual sharepoint address here.

let
Source = SharePoint.Tables("https://myselfsharepoint.com/sites/programs-myself/", [Implementation=null, ApiVersion=15]),
#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a" = Source{[Id="0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a"]}[Items]
in
#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a"

@EbyEaso OK, the try:

let
#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a" = Source{[Id="0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a"]}[Items],

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"0eba12ed-d2f6-4bed-a89a-84d46f80e14a",{{"Student ID", type text}, {"Submit Date", type date}}),
in
    #"Grouped Rows"

Latest book!:

Hello @Greg_Deckler ,

Great Awesome. I think its working. You are super. Appreciate your support and guidance. Good.

So later if i have additional columns just add it in here rite.

@EbyEaso As in additional columns you want to group by?

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler  Like later in future if i have additional column to add in the share point online list.

@EbyEaso You would have to add an aggregation for them in your Group by. Just click the gear icon next to that step in Applied steps.

Latest book!:

@Greg_Deckler Alright. Noted. Thank Yoy much. Appreciate it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors