Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mckennaodonnell
Frequent Visitor

Filter Hierarchy in a Matrix from a selected parent in a Gannt chart

When a user selects the parent in a Gannt chart visual, it filters the Matrix visual to include child items of the parent in a heirarchy. 

This works for a bar chart but not a Gannt chart. How I can configure the matrix to filter with child items when the parent is selected in a bar chart?

2 REPLIES 2
v-xiaosun-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mckennaodonnell ,

I suggest that you can pay attention to the structure of the table.

You can reference the following link.

Solved: Re: Gantt - Sub Tasks & Parent - Microsoft Power BI Community

Bar chart:

vxiaosunmsft_0-1669797832858.pngvxiaosunmsft_1-1669797850716.png

Gannt chart:

Measure =
VAR _sel =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Table'[Parent] )
RETURN
    IF ( MAX ( 'Table'[Parent] ) = _sel, MAX ( 'Table'[Task ] ) )

vxiaosunmsft_2-1669798179950.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ xiaosun

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Thank you for the response! 

I am attempting to select a Parent in a Gannt chart and I want it to filter the heirarchy in my Matrix. So if a  "Contract" in selected in a gant chart, it filters a Matrix below it that shows the selected "Epic" and it's tasks. 

I cannot add a measure to the item in the Gannt Chart nor can I add a measure to the Matrix in the "Item" field. I currently have used the patch function to create the heirarchy between each level. I am also not displaying any aggregate calculations, but just want to show information a in a hierarchal way. 

Epic function - this is my highest level

mckennaodonnell_0-1670196204275.png

Story - This is my second level

mckennaodonnell_1-1670196261677.png

When I select the "Epic" in a gantt chart. It returns the epic in the matrix but not its corresponding stories. Just the Epic itself. What do i need to do the above functions, where do i need to add in order for the Matrix heirarchy to respond to gannt chart selection? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.