Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MTOnet
Helper III
Helper III

Filter Data Table Based on a Measure

I am having an issue finding a solution to a problem that i feel is doable.  What I am attempting to do is make a selection in one table and the have another table show only items that correspond to that selction.

I have two unreleated tables, Table1 and Table2.  

Table1
ID Issue Assigned Detected 1 Issue1 PersonA PersonB 2 Issue2 PersonA PersonC 3 Issue3 PersonD PersonE 4 Issue4 PersonB PersonB
5 Issue5 PersonB PersonA
Table2
Person  Status1 Status2 Status3
PersonA    1       2      1
PersonB    2       3      4
PersonE    4       5      6

(as far as this question in concerned, the status values (whcih are measures themselves) are irrelevent, but just to show how data is presented)

I would like to be able to select a row in Table 2 and then have table 1 filtered to display the selected person in Table 1 if they appear in the Assigned or Detected column.  So if I select PersonB in Table2, I should see ID's 1, 4 & 5 in Table1.

I have a measure that allows me to get the Person value from Table 2, but I can't figiure out how i can filter Table1 by it.  I tried with a calculated column,

Display = if(Table1[Deteted]=[Selected Person Table2] || Table1[Assigned]=[Selected Person Table2],1,0)

And then using a visual level filter to only show results where Display Is 1.

This didn't work like I was hoping.  In doing some more reading, it seems to be because the calculated column is only updated when the model is updated, not upon a selection.  I'm thinking this can be done through a measure, but I'm not sure how I can go through each table item to make this determination.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MTOnet ,

Your idea is right. You can create a measure:

Measure =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Detected] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] )
        || SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Assigned] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] ),
    IF ( ISBLANK ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] ) ), 1, 0 )
)

Then put this measure in the filter of table 1.
1-1.PNG

Here is the result.
1-2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MTOnet ,

Your idea is right. You can create a measure:

Measure =
IF (
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Detected] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] )
        || SELECTEDVALUE ( Table1[Assigned] ) = SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] ),
    IF ( ISBLANK ( SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Person] ) ), 1, 0 )
)

Then put this measure in the filter of table 1.
1-1.PNG

Here is the result.
1-2.PNG

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors