Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mkumetat
Regular Visitor

Filter/DAX function to count occurrence of words

Hello everyone,

I am an absolute beginner in Power Bi, so please bear with me if my question seems simple. I am trying to visualize the following:

I have a survey where training participants can describe their profession by selecting one or multiple answers. My data looks something like this:

Table data.PNG

I would like to visualize the second column, for instance in the form of a pie chart. However, I don't know how to make Power BI "filter" this column, so that I would have pie chart with each category ("Videojournalist", "Correspondent", etc.), rather than - as Power BI currently displays it - categories that are named like this: "Videojournalist,Photojournalist, Cameraperson", etc. I know that this means that certain participants would be counted two, three, four times, but that would be okay.

Is there a way to create a DAX function (or pivot table?) to visualize this? Please let me know if you need further information or a sample dataset/pbix file to answer my question.

Many thanks in advance 🙂

Best,

Marvin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Marvin,

I have attached a sample PBIX.

I would suggest setting up the data model as follows:

image.png

1. Participant is a table with one row per Participant, same as the table you posted but with Profession removed.
  2. Profession is a table containing distinct values of Profession 
  3. ParticipantProfession is a "bridge" table containing the valid combinations of Participant and Profession. I created this using the Split function in Power Query and it looks like this:image.png

4. Relationships are as in diagram above.
    • Participant has 1:* relationship with ParticipantProfession (bidirectional)
    • Profession has 1:* relationship with ParticipantProfession 
  5. Create a measure:
    Number of Occurrences of Profession = 
    COUNTROWS ( ParticipantProfession )
  6. Then you can create visuals that display this measure filtered by Profession[Profession]. Additionally, filtering on a particular Profession will filter the Participant table.image.png

You can see in the attached PBIX how this is set up, but please post back if needed.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
OwenAuger
Super User
Super User

Hi Marvin,

I have attached a sample PBIX.

I would suggest setting up the data model as follows:

image.png

1. Participant is a table with one row per Participant, same as the table you posted but with Profession removed.
  2. Profession is a table containing distinct values of Profession 
  3. ParticipantProfession is a "bridge" table containing the valid combinations of Participant and Profession. I created this using the Split function in Power Query and it looks like this:image.png

4. Relationships are as in diagram above.
    • Participant has 1:* relationship with ParticipantProfession (bidirectional)
    • Profession has 1:* relationship with ParticipantProfession 
  5. Create a measure:
    Number of Occurrences of Profession = 
    COUNTROWS ( ParticipantProfession )
  6. Then you can create visuals that display this measure filtered by Profession[Profession]. Additionally, filtering on a particular Profession will filter the Participant table.image.png

You can see in the attached PBIX how this is set up, but please post back if needed.

Regards,

Owen

Owen Auger
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Blog
Twitter
LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.