Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Twan
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Filter Columns in Data View

Is there any way to filter columns when viewing a table in the data view in Power BI desktop?  

In PowerPivot it is possible to filter each column when viewing the data in Data View.  This is useful for exploring the data and inspecting how calculated columns are evaluating.

Thanks,

-Anthony

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Twan - I am not aware of a way to do this, you can right click a column and sort. Probably a good thing to post to Ideas if not there already.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mcanas07

Hi there, 

I am new to the forum and just started using PowerBI today and although I am liking it so far, I feel a bit let down with the unavailability to filter my columns in data view as I would like to check if my calculated columns are working as they should.

Has a solution been found to this yet??

Thanks,

mcanas

@mcanas07 Looks like that feature was requested (and you may have commented based on the anonymous comment date) here Doesn't look like it has much traction yet. This functionality isn't in the Desktop, but you can easily validate your calc column or measure by just creating a quick table in the Report section... In fact, you can build the Calc Column from the Report section as well, so there is no need to look in the Data section when building them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Eno,

That's exactly what i did (i.e. checked in report section) but was hoping that more people would want to do these type of checks before cracking on with reports. Fingers crossed this might get added in later releases if more people vote and yes anonymous was me there but don't know why it didnt have my username there 😞

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Twan - I am not aware of a way to do this, you can right click a column and sort. Probably a good thing to post to Ideas if not there already.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks @Greg_Deckler,  I'll go look in the ideas section and see if anyone else has posted this idea and post it if nobody has.

I also figured out that you can go to the Home ribbon -> Edit Queries and it brings up a view similar to the data view where you can filter columns.  The only issue is that this view of the data does not contain calculated columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.