Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

anmattos
Advocate I
Advocate I

Filter Column in Measure AND Slice at the same time

Dear All,

I have the following situation and I don’t seem to find anything similar on the forums. I´m using Excel PowerPivot.

I have a Pivot Table with some status on the Columns.

anmattos_0-1670352448187.png

Each column is from a Measure that measures this specific status, like that:

=CALCULATE (

[Total Requirements];

fWDC[Plan Status] = "Approved")

The Column with the status in the data is “fWDC[Plan Status]”.

The problem is that the slicer won’t work on this table, because the same column is used both in the measure and in the Slicer. In this case the measure overrides the status selection in the visual Slicer.

What I need is that when a Status is selected in the Slicer, the columns related to the other status show “0”. This is needed because there is a chart connected to the table.

Example: if I select "Released" in the Slicer, all columns will show 0 except the "Released" column, which will show its current numbers. The same should work if I select multiple values from the slicer.

Basically I need an “AND” condition between the [Plan Status] value in the measure formula and the slicer selection(s).

Is there any way to achieve that?

Best regards,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You should be able to amend your measures to test if the [Plan Status] is filtered and if it is, return the selected value or 0 if the [Plan Status] is not selected or if it is not filtered return all values.

Something like...

Approved Value =
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
NOT(ISFILTERED(fWDC[Plan Status])), CALCULATE([Total Requirements],fWDC[Plan Status] = "Approved"),
AND(HASONEVALUE(fWDC[Plan Status]), FILTERS(fWDC[Plan Status]) = "Approved"), CALCULATE([Total Requirements],fWDC[Plan Status] = "Approved"),
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

You should be able to amend your measures to test if the [Plan Status] is filtered and if it is, return the selected value or 0 if the [Plan Status] is not selected or if it is not filtered return all values.

Something like...

Approved Value =
SWITCH(
TRUE(),
NOT(ISFILTERED(fWDC[Plan Status])), CALCULATE([Total Requirements],fWDC[Plan Status] = "Approved"),
AND(HASONEVALUE(fWDC[Plan Status]), FILTERS(fWDC[Plan Status]) = "Approved"), CALCULATE([Total Requirements],fWDC[Plan Status] = "Approved"),
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. It was not exactly what I needed, since the second SWITCH criteria check for 1 filter selection only, while I wanted to be able to select multiple options in the visual Slicer.

However, it nudged me in the right direction and in the end I got the desired result as follows:

=
VAR __Status =
          CALCULATE (
               [Total Requirements];
               fWDC2[Plan Status] = "Approved")
RETURN

SWITCH (
        TRUE ();
        NOT ( ISFILTERED ( fWDC2[Plan Status] ) ); __Status;
        CONTAINSROW ( FILTERS ( fWDC2[Plan Status] ); "Approved" ); __Status;
)

Thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.