Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

akamiller

Filter A Query Based on Parameters

Hi All,

I have read all the other posts in here on using parameters in queries and they make sense.  However, in the latest version of Power BI Desktop, these do not seem to be working.  I have created by query link so:

let
Source = Sql.Database("Server", "Database",
[Query="
SELECT * FROM ChangeManagementAudit
WHERE CONVERT(datetime,EventDate) >= '" & StartDate & "'
"]),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"FileName", "EventTime", "AccessType", "DomainName", "Process"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"EventDate", type date}}),
#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Solution", "EventDate", "UserAccount", "Project"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(_), type number}})
in
#"Grouped Rows"

The resulting error code I always get is:

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator & to types Text and DateTime.
Details:
Operator=&
Left=
SELECT * FROM ChangeManagementAudit
WHERE CONVERT(datetime,EventDate) >= '
Right=1/1/2016 12:00:00 AM

Is there a newer method of implementing the query parameters that I'm not aware of?  All of the form based options are in the desktop either for example there is no icon next to the filter value to change it to a parameterized value.

FilterForm.PNG

Can someone help me?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@akamiller

The report is as the error says "Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator & to types Text and DateTime."

Change the StartDate to text rather than date/time. Then it works in my test. Regarding date type conversion, in many databases, a formated string "20160804" or 2016-08-04" can be implicitly converted to date correctly. No worry about the conversion.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@akamiller

The report is as the error says "Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator & to types Text and DateTime."

Change the StartDate to text rather than date/time. Then it works in my test. Regarding date type conversion, in many databases, a formated string "20160804" or 2016-08-04" can be implicitly converted to date correctly. No worry about the conversion.

Thank you, I made these changes

I the database stored query leave variable as date and i power BI query editor put variables as text after that working properly

let
SQLSource = (Param1 as text, Param2 as text) =>
let
param1 = Date.ToText(Param1, "MM")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param1, "dd")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param1, "yyyy"),
param2 = Date.ToText(Param2, "MM")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param2, "dd")&"/"&Date.ToText(Param2, "yyyy"),
Source = Sql.Database("10.58.211.97,49461", "PPL_KPI", [Query="EXEC [PPL_KPI].[dbo].[Completed_kpi] @init_date = '"& Param1 &"', @final_date = '" & Param2 & "'"])
in
Source
in
SQLSource

Hi @Eric_Zhang

I'm trying to pass date as parameters and have changed it to text. However, when i pass the value like 4/4/2017 , I'm getting incorrect syntax near '/' . Could you kindly help?

@Bibek wrote:
Hi @Eric_Zhang

I'm trying to pass date as parameters and have changed it to text. However, when i pass the value like 4/4/2017 , I'm getting incorrect syntax near '/' . Could you kindly help?

@Bibek

Since this thread is old and closed, for your question, could you please raise a new thread?

@Eric_Zhang No issues. I have found the solution. However, I have another query for which I'll raise a new thread.

I will try that.  I guess the part that threw me off was that the LEFT side was my entire SELECT query up to the & and not just the EventDate.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.