Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MrClod
Helper I
Helper I

Filling the blanks of a running total with last non-blank value

I have a measure that I have created against a separate table to have a running total of created tickets by date.  When no tickets have been created on a particular date, I want to repeat the previous non-blank value.

For example, on 8 April, no tickets were created, so I want my total to show 389, just like the previous day.

image.png

My measure is calculated with this snippet:

#totalCreated = IF(CALCULATE(COUNT(ticketData[CreateDate]),
	                     FILTER(ALL(ticketData),
				    ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX(ticketData[CreateDate]))),
		   CALCULATE(COUNT(ticketData[CreateDate]),
	                     FILTER(ALL(ticketData),
				    ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX(ticketData[CreateDate]))), 
		   0    // some change here to get desired result
)

I have tried LASTNONBLANK, but for dates, it wants non duplicates, while the ticketData table can have multiple tickets created in a day.  I am adding this measure to a a calendar table that holds all the values from my intended date range since I cannot have gaps in my dates  either.

CALENDAR(MINX('ticketData', ticketData[CreateDate]), NOW())

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi, @MrClod

I have reproduced your issue and I found out the cause. The column "Date" in the report isn't from the table "ticketData" , is this right? If it's the truth, you can fix this by these steps.

1. Make sure these two tables have relationships.

2. Change the formula into this: (the column where the column 'date' in the report belongs, maybe a little change needed)

#totalcreated =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( ticketData[CreateDate] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( ticketData ),
        ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX ('Date'[date] )
    )
)

Please try this. 

Capture.JPG

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
emremehmet
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I do have pretty much same problem, tried to fix it with you methodology but it didnt work for me. 

could you help me about it please;

here is my dax query for running total count

Count of ADMISSIONOID running total in RowNumber =

CALCULATE(
DISTINCTCOUNT('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[ADMISSIONOID]);
FILTER(
ALLSELECTED('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[RowNumber]);
ISONORAFTER('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[RowNumber]; MAX('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[RowNumber]); DESC)
)
)

I'm sitting here two years later with exactly the same problem. The issue with the solution presented is that it only works on a calendar table, if you are not working with dates but rather a sequence no. or number defining a period of time it does not work.

This little problem has become the bane of my existence.

I'm here another 2 years later and feeling your pain! Is there a solution for a non Date table scenario? Self-help group ? 🙂

Same issue with nearly 2 more years 😞  Screaming for help!

emremehmet
Frequent Visitor

Hi everyone, I need quick help, I know there is another message with same subject but I have another trick in my table.

first, I have increment numbers instead dates, (like 1-2-3-4-5-...18), I do replace date column with my "row number" column. and want to fill empty rows with the last number of rownumber. 
this is my dax query for running total;

CALCULATE(
FILTER(
ISONORAFTER('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[RowNumber]; MAX('vw_SIS_STUDENT_ENROLLMENT'[RowNumber]); DESC)
)
)

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @MrClod,

It seems that you want to sum up the tickets from the start date to the current date. The IF couldn't be necessary. We can sum the column "created".

#TotalCreated =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( ticketData[Created] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( ticketData ),
        ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX ( ticketData[CreateDate] )
    )
)

Filling the blanks of a running total with last non-blank value.JPG

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I should have named that created column to #created since it's a measure that calculates the # of created tickets on a day from the TicketData table and exists in its own table.

SUM does not appear to want to deal with this column, nor will SUM allow me to include the definition of #created.

Hi @MrClod,

A measure can be used in another measure. You can have a try. Maybe your formula looks like this:

#TotalCreated =
CALCULATE (
    [Created],
    FILTER (
        ALL ( ticketData ),
        ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX ( ticketData[CreateDate] )
    )
)

I would think so as well, but I still have 0 for those days that do not have any tickets created.

Capture.JPG

Hi, @MrClod

I have reproduced your issue and I found out the cause. The column "Date" in the report isn't from the table "ticketData" , is this right? If it's the truth, you can fix this by these steps.

1. Make sure these two tables have relationships.

2. Change the formula into this: (the column where the column 'date' in the report belongs, maybe a little change needed)

#totalcreated =
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( ticketData[CreateDate] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( ticketData ),
        ticketData[CreateDate] <= MAX ('Date'[date] )
    )
)

Please try this. 

Capture.JPG

I have another trick in my table.

first, I have increment numbers instead dates, (like 1-2-3-4-5-...18), I do replace date column with my "row number" column. and want to fill empty rows with the last number of rownumber. 

CALCULATE(
FILTER(
)
)

Hi everyone, I need quick help, I know there is another message with same subject but I have another trick in my table.

CALCULATE(
FILTER(
)
)
Ekran Alıntısı.JPG

That appears to do the trick!!

Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.